Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: December 11, 2019

Psalm 130:1-2    "Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD. (2)  Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications."

We have been looking at some Psalms that are titled "Song of degrees." It is thought that these Psalms (songs) were sung as the people traveled to Jerusalem each year for the annual feasts. This Psalm could easily have been sung as the people were traveling to Jerusalem for the observance of Passover. It was at this time that the sacrifice of atonement was made. When God accepted the offering for Passover, their sins were rolled forward for that year.

I can picture the people walking and praying and singing as they traveled. Their prayers were prayers of thanksgiving and also hopeful prayers. "Lord, hear my prayers. I cry unto thee. Please let your ears be attentive as I cry out to you." Reading on into the Psalm, the song continues with the thought of hope that God will indeed hear prayers and heal the land. "If my people who are called by my name shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear their prayers and heal their land."  "Lord hear my voice. I cry unto you."

We are so blessed in this age of grace. We do not have to travel to Jerusalem to experience forgiveness of sins. We do not have to travel to a temple made with hands; for, our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost. We are called upon to humble ourselves wherever we are. We are told to seek the Lord with all our hearts. He has promised to hear our prayers through His Son, Jesus Christ. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse from all unrighteousness. We have this promise, based upon the shed blood of Jesus Christ. May we walk in hope and assurance of God's amazing grace.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...