Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: December 11, 2019

Psalm 130:1-2    "Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD. (2)  Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications."

We have been looking at some Psalms that are titled "Song of degrees." It is thought that these Psalms (songs) were sung as the people traveled to Jerusalem each year for the annual feasts. This Psalm could easily have been sung as the people were traveling to Jerusalem for the observance of Passover. It was at this time that the sacrifice of atonement was made. When God accepted the offering for Passover, their sins were rolled forward for that year.

I can picture the people walking and praying and singing as they traveled. Their prayers were prayers of thanksgiving and also hopeful prayers. "Lord, hear my prayers. I cry unto thee. Please let your ears be attentive as I cry out to you." Reading on into the Psalm, the song continues with the thought of hope that God will indeed hear prayers and heal the land. "If my people who are called by my name shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear their prayers and heal their land."  "Lord hear my voice. I cry unto you."

We are so blessed in this age of grace. We do not have to travel to Jerusalem to experience forgiveness of sins. We do not have to travel to a temple made with hands; for, our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost. We are called upon to humble ourselves wherever we are. We are told to seek the Lord with all our hearts. He has promised to hear our prayers through His Son, Jesus Christ. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse from all unrighteousness. We have this promise, based upon the shed blood of Jesus Christ. May we walk in hope and assurance of God's amazing grace.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51