Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: December 13, 2019


Psalm 131:1-3     "LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me. (2)  Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child. (3)  Let Israel hope in the LORD from henceforth and for ever."

These three verses comprise the entire 131st Psalm. It is ascribed as being another traveling song. This was another that would be sung on the way to the temple to worship the Lord. This particular Psalm was a song of degrees of David. I read these verses and think, "Should there be more to it?" What was David thinking when he wrote this particular song? It is short. It apparently had a very personal meaning for David. Should it have a meaning for me?

It is apparent that this song was one to promote humility upon entering the house of the Lord. As I think back on David's life and his accomplishments, I realize that the people could have easily thought of David as being their deliverer. He had been a masterful shepherd. He went against the giant, Goliath, and took him down with one stone. He had done well in battle. He was not a perfect man, but he was a good king. It would be easy enough for the people to see him as the one to depend upon. And above that, David being a man could have easily allowed his mind to think more highly of himself as he should.

He consciously brought himself down to the place where he was reminding himself that all his hope was in the Lord. All Israel's hope was in the Lord. There is only one Deliverer. For us today, it is very easy to place our dependence upon technology. We are so blessed with the "comforts of everyday life".  Sometimes it seems we have placed our dependence so much upon technology that we may easily have moved the Lord God from the center of our lives to the outer edge of our thinking.

It would do me well to spend time meditating upon the thoughts and intentions of this very simple Psalm. In all that I might accomplish in life, my hope is in my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. He, Alone, is my Deliverer. Salvation is of the Lord.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51