Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: December 16, 2019


Psalm 132:4-5    "I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids, (5)  Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob."

This Psalm speaks of a desire to worship. The verses previous to these two speak of David's afflictions and of places where worship has occurred. The temple had not been built at that time, but the desire to have a proper place of worship burned deep in their hearts.

Not only do these verses speak of that deep desire, they also speak of commitment. Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lack of commitment in our society today? We live in a "throw away" world. Most things we buy are in disposable packages. Many things are made for a certain number of uses and then to be disposed and new ones to be purchased.

Quite honestly, that lack of commitment seems to carry over into the arena of worship. There seems to be a lack of commitment when it comes to being in God's House on the Lord's Day. I will be there, if nothing else comes up. When in all reality, the underlying thought is, "I hope something comes up so I can stay home."

I'm thankful that our God is not a throw away God. If so, He would have been well within His rights to have thrown me away a long time ago. In fact, He would have been well within His rights to never have purchased me in the first place. I added nothing to the Person of God when He chose to send His Son to die for me; yet out of His love, mercy, and grace, He did that. Is He not worthy of my commitment to Him?

I'm afraid maybe we have lost the sense of exactly what He saved us from. He didn't just save us from a guilty conscience. He didn't just save us from stubbing our toe. He saved us from an eternal burning fiery hell for all eternity. He saved us from an eternity of torment. He saved us from ourselves. He did it at the cost of His dear Son. He committed Himself to us for all eternity and yet it seems that it has become too difficult for many to commit themselves to Him for a few hours a week.

Yes, I suppose I'm on a soapbox this morning, but it is time for God's people to stand up and speak out as a committed people unto the One Who saved us from hell. It's time to commit our lives to Him and be committed in worship and praise. It's time to commit ourselves to His Church, which is His body. It's time.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51