Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: December 27, 2019


Psalm 135:6     "Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did he in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places."

It would be easy for me to jump ahead to the verses that follow this one, but my mind keeps coming back to the first words: (paraphrase) 'The LORD does whatever He wants to do'.

We are guilty of saying, or at the least thinking, that we can do what we want. I remember times in my life when I felt I had reached the age where I could do whatever I wanted to do. When I reached the age of being a teenager, I felt I could do anything I wanted to do. When I reached the age of sixteen and had my drivers' license, I felt I could do anything I wanted to do. There was one problem with that: I had to ask daddy if I could use the car. It was his car and he had the keys. When I turned 21, I just knew I would "be a man" and do whatever I wanted to do. Well, that didn't work so well either. I had expenses and had to work to get the paycheck in order to pay the expenses. My employer seemed to always want to tell me what to do. I felt that when I arrived at the age of retirement, I could do anything that I wanted to do. Well, I'm now at that age, but retirement isn't in the near forecast for me. But there is another thing that prevents me from doing anything that I want to do. My mind says I can do anything that I could do when I was 21. My body says,"Let's think about this before we hurt ourselves."

No, there is only one Person Who can say, "I can do whatsoever I please." He has. He is. and He will always do as He pleases. King Nebuchadnezzar discovered that none can prevent God from doing His will and His pleasure. None can even share in the glory that belongs unto the LORD.

I'm thankful that He can do as He pleases. He has the power, the knowledge, the presence, and the wisdom to do whatever He pleases and to make it work for our good. He did as He pleased in creation. Look at the beautiful outcome of the pleasure of the Lord in creating this universe. No man, nor any accident, could have created to perfection as our LORD has done. He does according to His pleasure in our daily lives. He is a gracious God and sometimes allows us to think we are "doing it ourselves".

And most definitely, I'm thankful that He did as he pleased when He sent His Son into the world to pay the sin debt that was against me. He did as He pleased when He chose to save me into His family. He did as He pleased when His Holy Spirit came into my heart, making me alive unto the things of God. He did as He pleased even when He allowed me to think I was making right choices, when all along the Spirit of God was prompting me and guiding me in the right ways. I can take credit for all the wrong that has been in my life and I say I did as I pleased. But all that is right and good is because God has done as He pleased in me.

I'm so thankful that we serve the LORD of heaven and earth and have been brought into a personal relationship with Him. I'm thankful that we have been given the privilege to have a daily interaction with Him. May we each be diligent in seeking the daily walk with our Lord.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51