Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: November 20,2019


Psalm 119:156   "Great are thy tender mercies, O LORD: quicken me according to thy judgments."

Psalm 119:165   "Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them."

Lamentations 3:21-24   "This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. (22)  It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. (23)  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. (24) The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him."

Luke 1:31-33   "And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. (32)  He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: (33)  And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end."
Luke 1:49   "For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name."

As I read Psalm 119:156, the word "great" jumped off the page at me. What a blessed way to start the day by being reminded "how great is our God"!

I began to search for the word, "great". It is used many times in the scriptures. Some of the times it refers to calamities and struggles in life. Most of the time, it refers to the greatness of our God. I read verse 56 and I saw the word great and mercies. Then I dropped down to verse 165 and read the word, "peace". Satan has many ways to try to rob us of our peace. He is good at his craft; but I'm so thankful that our God is GREAT at His Work. When our hearts are stayed upon Him, there is great peace and He has many ways to show and prove His great love, peace, and faithfulness to us.

The prophet, Jeremiah, had to bring back to his remembrance that God's mercy is never removed from us. He is great in compassion toward us. He is faithful in all His ways. Then he declared, "God is my portion." What is the one thing that you desire the most in life? What is that which you hold to, that you know will never fail you? For some people, they think they can hold on to their own strength. But I'm at a point in life where my strength is failing me. Some people think they can hold on to their own "thoughts" about matters of life and eternity. I'm at a point where my thoughts often fail me in the middle of a sentence.

I am reminded that my portion never fails, because my portion is my Lord. Great is His faithfulness. Great is my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. The angel declared that Jesus would be great and His works bear that to be a fact. Great is His teaching. Great is His miracles. Great is His love. Great is His death, burial, and resurrection. Great is His redemption that has been given to you and me. He has done great things and I'm so thankful.

I pray these thoughts, though scattered, will give you something to ponder and serve as a reminder that truly we serve a great God who loves us with a great and unending love.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51