Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: December 31, 2019


Psalm 136:1-4    "O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.  (2)  O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.  (3)  O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endureth for ever.  (4)  To him who alone doeth great wonders: for his mercy endureth for ever."

It has been said that grace and mercy are sisters. I'm not certain that is the proper analogy, but the two are definitely parts of God's attributes and actions toward us. It was by God's grace that He sent His Son to the cross to die in my place to pay for my sins. It was by God's grace that He brought me from being dead in trespasses and sins into life in Him. It was by God's grace that I can say I am a child of God. It was by His mercy that He chose to reveal that fact to me and give me peace through that knowledge.

There is one fact that is stated in every verse of this Psalm and is worthy of our attention: God's mercy endures forever. The fact that I am here is a statement of His mercy. Every breath, every beat of the heart, every movement, every good thought that passes through my mind is the result of God's mercy. This particular Psalm recalls the manner in which God brought Israel out of bondage in Egypt. It is laid out beautifully. A remembrance is made and mercy is exclaimed.

He created this universe. His mercy endures forever. He brought us out of Egypt. His mercy endures forever. He parted the Red Sea. His mercy endures forever. He provided water from a rock. His mercy endures forever. He sent bread from heaven. His mercy endures forever. The list continues on and on. His mercy endures forever.

This morning, as I type this devotion, I can see an application of each of these things in my life. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, "His mercy endureth forever."  How about you? 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51