Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: January 10, 2020


Psalm 139:3-6    "Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.  (4)  For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.  (5)  Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.  (6)  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it."

"Thou compassest my path." I do love the King James Version of the Bible, but I have to keep my concordance dictionary handy. When I read the word, "compassest", I had to look up the original meaning of the word. According to the Strong's Concordance, the word means to winnow or thresh. God separates our actions from our hearts. God knows where we are, what we are doing, and WHY we are doing it.

God looks beyond our words and actions to see our motives. But thank God, He looks beyond our faults to see our needs. He is acquainted with all our needs. He knows our victories and He knows our defeats. He hears all we say. He sees all we do. He knows all we think.

Why do I keep stressing this? Well, I'm glad you asked. David admitted in verse 6 that this understanding was too high for him and he could not arrive at the final point of all God knows and does. But he concludes with the understanding that through it all, God has His hand upon us. God is not a distant God. We saw several Psalms ago that He is a very present help. He doesn't stand back and watch us stumble and bumble and fall. Though there are times when we feel that we have fallen, we can be assured the hand of the Lord is upon us. He has surrounded us with His grace, mercy, and love to secure us.

I am so glad that Jesus loves even me. I'm thankful that He cares about me enough to take knowledge of all that I do. I want to walk closer to Him and commit my love and devotion unto Him. When I do that, He gives a joy and peace that cannot be put in words.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51