Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: January 17, 2020


Psalm 140:4-6   "Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from the violent man; who have purposed to overthrow my goings.  (5)  The proud have hid a snare for me, and cords; they have spread a net by the wayside; they have set gins for me. Selah.  (6)  I said unto the LORD, Thou art my God: hear the voice of my supplications, O LORD."

As we read these verses, no doubt our minds go to other people. We may know them personally. We may know of them through the news. We may know them in our own minds and imaginations. But as I read them this morning, I ask are these wicked, violent, and proud found in me? "What do you mean?" you ask. I'm glad you asked.

Because of the sin nature with which I was born, I have to realize that I have the full capability of having wicked thoughts. I do not want to think I am violent; yet, within me are those thoughts of anger, envy, and other carnal matters. I am fully capable of setting the traps for myself. I must constantly be on guard against myself.

"Keep me, O LORD. Hold me and protect me from myself. Keep me from damaging others. Keep me from damaging my own spirituality. Thank you Father that I am covered and protected by the blood of Jesus Christ."  In that prayer, it is very important for us to confirm that God is my God. There is definitely power in our lives when we verbalize our faith. "If you believe in your heart and CONFESS with  your mouth." There is strength in hearing ourselves confirm our love for the Lord. When was the last time you, or I, spoke it?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51