Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: January 23, 2020


Psalm 142:3-5    "When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.  (4)  I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.  (5)  I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living."

The world is filled with turmoil. I find myself humming the first few words of a song by Anne Murray back in the 80's, "I sure could use a little good news today." That's on a world level and then you look at the national level, then to the local. There seems to be so much going on today that drags us down. Then on a personal level, we have circumstances and situations that pull on us, drag us, and drain us of energy. We can easily get to the place where we believe no one knows or understands what we are going through.

The Psalmist understood that emotional state of being. He understood what it was like to feel alone in the world. You see, we can even get to the place where we feel God has left us to ourselves. But then the Lord guided him to a safe place where the presence of the Lord was made to be so very real. He was made to realize that he had never been alone. God knew where he was all along that path. He could see no physical help from anyone around him. He was convinced that indeed no one cared for him. Ever felt that way?

There is a remedy and it works. I'm going to share a verse just now that fits with verse 5. "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans 10:9)  There may be some who would think this is out of place, but to me it fits perfectly. When you understand the word, saved, means deliverance, then hopefully you can see how it fits today's verse and it fits each of our situations when we feel so low. Paul tells us if you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart. The Psalmist says "I cried unto thee, O LORD." There is confession of mouth. Then he said, "Thou art my refuge and my portion." That is an expression of his heart's belief.

When we get into that deep dark valley, may we apply the truth of God's Word: Confess and believe. Speak it and know it is true. The very One Who brought Jesus out of the tomb will walk you through your valley and out the other side. Trust Him!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51