Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: January 24, 2020


Psalm 142:6-7   "Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I.  (7)  Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me."

Again, David is calling out to God for help. This time through the Psalms, I am sensing the urgency of prayer and seeking God's deliverance each day. I realize that before, my studies would take me to think that the enemies were always someone other than myself. This time as I read the Psalms, I do realize the enemies are not always outward. In fact, more times than not, I am my own worst enemy.

"Deliver me from my persecutors." Oftentimes, my persecutors are my own emotions and tendencies that carry me away from fellowship with God. I allow myself to be taken captive by my own emotions. There are so many things that we all deal with on a daily basis that can imprison us. Things such as fear, anger, envy, impatience, selfishness, and so many other things can close and lock the prison door on our hearts.

There is good news! Jesus Christ can unlock that door and free us from ourselves. "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound."  (Psalms 61:1)

"Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saved them out of their distresses.  (14)  He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder.  (15)  Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!" (Psalm 107:13-15)

So many Scriptures take us to the truth of deliverance in Christ Jesus. He has shown us His ability to deliver us and then He has handed us the key. "What is the key?" you ask. I'm glad you asked. The key is found in verse 7 of our text today. It's found in verse 15 of Psalm 107. They key to opening the door is found in praising God. At the darkest hour of the night, Paul and Silas began singing and praising God while in the prison. The door flew open as they praised. There is power in prayer and be certain there is power in praise. Praise Him in the darkness as well as the light. He will show Himself strong on your behalf.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51