Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: January 7, 2020


Psalm 138:1  "I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee."

This is the time of year when resolutions are made (and broken). Although many times, the idea of making a resolution is the butt of jokes, there is much merit in seeking to have control over our bodies. This is not something that is done automatically, nor is it an easy thing to accomplish. The wise man, Solomon, had much to say about keeping control. Paul spoke of keeping under his body. This gives the idea of maintaining a balance in our mental and spiritual approach to life. There is a reason that I introduce today's verse with the thought of making resolutions. David was resolved to do something in his life. He was resolved to praise the Lord.

The first two words speak of our resolve: "I will". We often say that we are going to do something, but for some unforeseen reason, we are unable to keep our word. David resolved to praise the Lord with his whole heart. True praise and worship require both body, soul, and spirit. We praise God through our words when we sing or speak of the goodness of our God. But praise requires much more than just speaking words. Worship is much more than just going through a set of motions. True worship requires our hearts to be moved with the very thought of the grace of God being given to us. Worship is the movement of the heart which stirs our spirit which inspires our words to be spoken.

David was making the statement of his desire to understand the importance of the presence of the Almighty God in our lives throughout each day and in each activity. He was stating that he was not only going to worship God in the tabernacle, but he was going to praise God wherever he was and whoever he was with.

I confess to you that I am being moved in my heart to be more diligent in my praise and adoration of my Lord and Saviour. This is my fervent desire that others will see Jesus in me and through my words and actions.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51