Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 1:18


Mark 1:18   "And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him."

This passage of scripture is speaking of Simon and Andrew. They were fishermen by trade and apparently were fairly successful at it. They had grown up in the trade and followed their family business. One day, as they were casting their nets into the sea, a stranger walked by. He called out to them, "Come, follow me, and I will make you to become fishers of men." Our verse tells us their response. They walked a while farther and came upon two men who were mending their nets. They had finished their day's work and ready to go home. They were making preparation for the next day's work. Jesus called out to them and they left their father and the hired servants and went with Jesus. All four of these men received something from the words of Jesus that caused them to leave their work, their families, and follow Jesus.

Have you ever heard the voice of Jesus in your heart, calling out to you? Have you ever heard Him say, "Come, follow me." I think we all have heard that voice on one level or another. For some, yes the call is to change everything about your life and dedicate yourself to the ministry of the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. What a glorious call that is! For others, the call may be to present yourself for church membership and discipleship of the Lord. For some, that call may be to swallow pride, or lay down anger, let go of bitterness, or some other emotion that can hold us back from being a follower of the Lord Jesus.

Have you ever heard that call? If so, what was your response? For Simon Peter and Andrew, they forsook their nets. They left everything laying on the ground in order to be obedient to the call of the Lord. For James and John, they left their father and other associates of their everyday world and followed Jesus. The question for today is this, "What have I been called to lay down and follow my Lord?" What was my response? Was I willing to be obedient, or did I find excuses not to obey? May I be willing to forsake anything that is holding me back from following my Lord and Saviour.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51