Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 2:13


Mark 2:13   "And he went forth again by the sea side; and all the multitude resorted unto him, and he taught them."

Jesus had just healed the man sick of the palsy. The people confessed they had never seen anything like that before. Jesus healed him physically. Jesus healed him spiritually. He was made whole. What a glorious thought that is, to be made whole. Jesus changed the man in body. Jesus changed the man in spirit. Jesus changed the man in soul, or mind. His whole thought process had been changed by the entrance of the power of the Son of God. We can experience that same kind of power if we humble ourselves before the Lord.

This is what brings me to today's subject. "He taught them." I confess to you that many times I read the Bible and I want to see the big picture. But there are great blessings if you take time to look at the pictures within the picture. My first thought of today's verse is that Jesus had a multitude of people who resorted to Him. They either accompanied Him to the sea side, or they came to Him after He went there. I see there were always crowds of people around Jesus. I wonder what the people were seeking. What was their innermost need that Jesus could give them? No doubt there were many different reasons among the people that day.

Jesus had one purpose. "He taught them." I remember school days. I was taught a lot of things. I had teachers who were extremely bright in their approach to teaching. I had teachers who, looking back, probably saw teaching as a job and not a calling. I had teachers who were excited to impart their knowledge to others. But for all the teachers who stood before the class, I have to say they could only teach those who had a desire to learn.

Jesus taught the people. I wonder how many truly had a desire to learn. If there were Pharisees in the crowd, I doubt they were teachable. In their own eyes, they knew everything already. No doubt there were curiosity seekers who wondered how a carpenter could ever teach them anything. There were probably those who had no desire to learn. Don't teach me, just give me a passing grade.

Then I have to look in the mirror. Where do I stand? Do I think I already know everything and there is no need to even open my Bible. Am I a curiosity seeker to try to see this man who knew how to handle the crowd? Am I even interested in learning? Just give me a good enough grade to pass the test. Otherwise, I will get by the best I can.

This morning I say, "Jesus, please teach me." I don't want to simply have knowledge. I want Jesus. I want His presence. I want His person. I want His grace. I want to grow in both knowledge and grace of my Lord Jesus. How about you?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...