Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 3:1-3


Mark 3:1-3    "And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand.  (2)  And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him.  (3)  And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth."

"Stand forth." I believe Jesus certainly said those words with authority and power. As His custom was, Jesus went into the synagogue. He showed the perfect example of constant public worship of God. He, the Son of God, humbled Himself before the Father to worship and praise and pray. We hear many people  say, "I want to be like Jesus," yet they do not always feel public worship to be necessary. It seems to me that if I am going to be like Jesus, then His customs must be my customs - including public worship of God.

When He entered the synagogue, He saw the man with a withered hand. According to verse 2, I wonder if the man was taken there for the purpose of the Pharisees watching Jesus, or if his custom was to always be at the synagogue. I want to think the latter, but it seems those who always looked to find fault were ready to accuse Jesus. Will He dare heal this man on the sabbath day?

Quite honestly, I do not find that Jesus paid any attention to the fault finders as He entered the synagogue. His eyes immediately went to the man with the withered hand. His words were addressed to the man, not the crowd. Jesus said, "Stand forth." Wasn't this a wonderful call that was given to this man! Stand forth! Stand up! Come to me. I will give you rest. I will make your hand just like the other. I came today just for you! I wonder what was going through this man's mind as he stood up and approached Jesus.

Do you go with an expectation when you enter your church meeting house each Sunday? Do you go with the belief that Jesus has something just for you? Do you go with the understanding that Jesus is there looking directly at you, your heart, your mind, your approach to life and is going to call you to a higher plane of living? Do you pray for the Lord's appearance to you as you enter the sanctuary? I believe it is still the custom of our Lord to be in attendance when we gather to worship Him. I believe our Lord still calls names and tells us to "stand forth" that He might bestow the honor of His blessing. Do you? Do you go with an expectation? Stand forth and expect Jesus to come to you with the need of your life. Praise Him for His marvelous amazing saving grace.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...