Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 3:1-3


Mark 3:1-3    "And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand.  (2)  And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him.  (3)  And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth."

"Stand forth." I believe Jesus certainly said those words with authority and power. As His custom was, Jesus went into the synagogue. He showed the perfect example of constant public worship of God. He, the Son of God, humbled Himself before the Father to worship and praise and pray. We hear many people  say, "I want to be like Jesus," yet they do not always feel public worship to be necessary. It seems to me that if I am going to be like Jesus, then His customs must be my customs - including public worship of God.

When He entered the synagogue, He saw the man with a withered hand. According to verse 2, I wonder if the man was taken there for the purpose of the Pharisees watching Jesus, or if his custom was to always be at the synagogue. I want to think the latter, but it seems those who always looked to find fault were ready to accuse Jesus. Will He dare heal this man on the sabbath day?

Quite honestly, I do not find that Jesus paid any attention to the fault finders as He entered the synagogue. His eyes immediately went to the man with the withered hand. His words were addressed to the man, not the crowd. Jesus said, "Stand forth." Wasn't this a wonderful call that was given to this man! Stand forth! Stand up! Come to me. I will give you rest. I will make your hand just like the other. I came today just for you! I wonder what was going through this man's mind as he stood up and approached Jesus.

Do you go with an expectation when you enter your church meeting house each Sunday? Do you go with the belief that Jesus has something just for you? Do you go with the understanding that Jesus is there looking directly at you, your heart, your mind, your approach to life and is going to call you to a higher plane of living? Do you pray for the Lord's appearance to you as you enter the sanctuary? I believe it is still the custom of our Lord to be in attendance when we gather to worship Him. I believe our Lord still calls names and tells us to "stand forth" that He might bestow the honor of His blessing. Do you? Do you go with an expectation? Stand forth and expect Jesus to come to you with the need of your life. Praise Him for His marvelous amazing saving grace.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51