Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 4:2-4


Mark 4:2-4  "And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,  (3)  Hearken; Behold, there went out a sower to sow:  (4)  And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up."

This parable is a beautiful one and very needful of our consideration. At first I thought to take the entire parable in one devotion, but felt I should take each individual segment for thought. The first thing that I see in these verses is that Jesus taught "in his doctrine". Jesus taught with authority and compassion, which is something the people were not accustomed to hearing. The Pharisees would teach with heavy and demanding hands. Jesus, in His manner, taught straightforward but with the understanding of humanity and our tendencies.

In this parable we will see the various types of grounds which could represent various people, but I also see it to represent various times in my life. So we will take each type of ground and give us opportunity to do a self-check to see where we stand. The first type of ground is actually called "way side". I can see that this could definitely apply to those who are unregenerate. They have no ability to receive the word into themselves without the help of the Holy Spirit. The Word does not penetrate the heart that has not been quickened by the grace of God.

But I also see myself at times as being in the wayside. There are times when, for whatever reason, I find myself with my thoughts all over the place. There are times when I am reading the Word of God that I close my Bible and find that I took nothing away from that session of reading. There are times when I am doing something that would not be considered sinful, but my mind is on the things of the world rather than on the Lord at that particular moment. The Word is not having its effect on me at that point.

I'm thankful that these times in my life are temporary. I'm thankful there are so many times when I feel the closesness of my Lord. But I find that happens when I first prepare myself to receive the Word. I find the fellowship with Christ to be closer when I have come back from the "way side" and placed myself in the path that leads to righteousness, peace, and joy in my Lord. Worship is a very pro-active activity. We must prepare ourselves. In the Old Testament, it is spoken that we are to break up the fallow ground. God has blessed us with His Word but we are to make ourselves ready to receive it and rejoice in the love and grace of our Heavenly Father.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51