Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 4:5


Mark 4:5   "And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth"

And some fell on stony ground. Later in the chapter, the Lord explains this parable to His disciples. We see they did not always understand completely what Jesus was teaching. It is very important for us to have the desire and drive to study the Word of God. There are things that are difficult to understand; yet, it is of the utmost importance for us to seek to find the key to opening the Word. How do we go about that? First, we go to the Author and ask His assistance. What? You ask! I'm glad you asked. We go to the Author of the Bible and ask what is meant by the Word. We go to the Lord in prayer and ask Him to open our understanding. He, Himself, said, "Ask, and it shall be given. Seek and ye shall find. Knock, and the door will be open unto you." He gave the invitation to find instruction, why would we not take Him up on it?

The first thing we want to ask: What is the "some"? Some fell on stony ground. Of course this refers back to the sower and the seed that is sown. He later explains the seed to be the Word of God. Each time we open our Bibles, the seed is being sown. Each time we hear a message from God's Word, the seed is being sown. Each time we read a devotion, the seed is being sown. The Sower has so many different ways in which to sow the seed into hearts. We saw previously our hearts are the ground into which the seed is given.

Now we look at the various conditions of the heart. Today's heart is "stony ground". Let us look to Jesus' explanation concerning this type soil. "And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended." (Mark 4:16-17) I realize there are differing opinions concerning the various soil types, but I believe these are children of God who have heard the Word of God, received the Word of God, and even rejoiced in the Word of God for a season. They receive it and attempt to apply the Word, but when troubles and trials come they become disappointed and discouraged. They become disheartened and become offended. Do we not all know good people who, for one reason or another, were offended and stopped going to church. I think most congregations have those who have done this because of an offense.

Their hearts become crusty and hardened. How can this be combatted? How can this type soil (heart) be tilled and worked in order to return to the softened state of rejoicing in Christ? This sounds simple, but for me it worked. I have to take my eyes off myself. I have to take my eyes off those who I feel have offended me. I have to place my eyes on Christ Jesus who endured my offenses. I have to place my eyes back on Jesus and see Him going through the excrutiating pain of having all His disciples forsake Him and run away. I have to hear the hammer driving the spikes through His hands and feet. I have to see the spear being thrust through His side. I have to remember that He did all that for ME. If I truly can see Jesus as He is, as He was, and the results that He brought to me in salvation, I don't have time to think about things that really are trivial that I have allowed to cause my heart to be hardened.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the eyes of His glory and grace.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51