Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 10:13-16

Mark 10:13-16   "And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.  (14)  But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.  (15)  Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.  (16)  And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them."

It seems that the disciples fancied themselves as keepers of the door to Jesus. This is not the first time that they tried to turn people away who had come to Jesus and it won't be the last time. We saw it when they tried to send the multitude away because they were hungry. They tried to send away the Syro-Phonecian woman whose daughter was sick. They didn't think the people should be able to cast out demons because they did not walk with them. Here, we see the disciples rebuking those who brought children to Jesus that He might touch them. I don't think the disciples were hard hearted; rather, I think they saw themselves as trying to protect Jesus. May I say Jesus did not need their protection, nor does He need my protection. Rather, He is my Rock and my defense. I need Him.

Here we see one of the most tender moments of our Lord. I love to picture this scene in my mind. As a child, we sang, "Jesus loves the little children." I watch people's faces when the congregation sings, "Jesus loves me this I know." We never outgrow that very basic need of being touched by Jesus. Parents brought their children that Jesus might touch them. Jesus in another place said, "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." I understand that invitation of Jesus to be one that is universal. Please do not take that sentence and run with it. When I say it is universal, I mean that it is universal to all who find hope within themselves that Jesus can help them. It is universal in nation, kindred, tongue, and people. It is universal in social position. It is universal in age. Jesus said "all" who labour and are heavy laden. It is sad that there are those who do not see their need for Jesus; but the beautiful truth is that all who are troubled and burdened in life, seeking relief, can find help in Jesus Christ. So here we see Jesus with children all around Him. I picture Him putting His hand on their heads or giving them a big hug. I see Him showing His love for them and their smiles being returned to Him.

We sometimes do not realize the burdens that children can hold within themselves. Their problems and struggles are just as real to them as ours are to us. They were brought to Jesus and I like to think these children learned something that they carried with them the rest of their lives. Jesus loves them and He was their source of help and comfort. Isn't that a good lesson for us to learn today also? Jesus loves us and He is our source of comfort. In fact, Jesus used these children to teach us that coming to Him is the way to enter into and enjoy the pleasures and blessings of kingdom life. He is the KING of kings and LORD of lords. As such, He is able to meet our every need. I picture these children laughing and exhibiting joy of having been received by Jesus.

My question for myself this morning is this: How do I receive Jesus? Is He my source of joy and comfort? Is He the One that I turn to when I am in need? As I call Him my Lord, do my actions reflect that fact? Am I as a little child and relish the fact that Jesus has His hands upon me?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51