Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 10:13-16

Mark 10:13-16   "And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.  (14)  But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.  (15)  Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.  (16)  And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them."

It seems that the disciples fancied themselves as keepers of the door to Jesus. This is not the first time that they tried to turn people away who had come to Jesus and it won't be the last time. We saw it when they tried to send the multitude away because they were hungry. They tried to send away the Syro-Phonecian woman whose daughter was sick. They didn't think the people should be able to cast out demons because they did not walk with them. Here, we see the disciples rebuking those who brought children to Jesus that He might touch them. I don't think the disciples were hard hearted; rather, I think they saw themselves as trying to protect Jesus. May I say Jesus did not need their protection, nor does He need my protection. Rather, He is my Rock and my defense. I need Him.

Here we see one of the most tender moments of our Lord. I love to picture this scene in my mind. As a child, we sang, "Jesus loves the little children." I watch people's faces when the congregation sings, "Jesus loves me this I know." We never outgrow that very basic need of being touched by Jesus. Parents brought their children that Jesus might touch them. Jesus in another place said, "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." I understand that invitation of Jesus to be one that is universal. Please do not take that sentence and run with it. When I say it is universal, I mean that it is universal to all who find hope within themselves that Jesus can help them. It is universal in nation, kindred, tongue, and people. It is universal in social position. It is universal in age. Jesus said "all" who labour and are heavy laden. It is sad that there are those who do not see their need for Jesus; but the beautiful truth is that all who are troubled and burdened in life, seeking relief, can find help in Jesus Christ. So here we see Jesus with children all around Him. I picture Him putting His hand on their heads or giving them a big hug. I see Him showing His love for them and their smiles being returned to Him.

We sometimes do not realize the burdens that children can hold within themselves. Their problems and struggles are just as real to them as ours are to us. They were brought to Jesus and I like to think these children learned something that they carried with them the rest of their lives. Jesus loves them and He was their source of help and comfort. Isn't that a good lesson for us to learn today also? Jesus loves us and He is our source of comfort. In fact, Jesus used these children to teach us that coming to Him is the way to enter into and enjoy the pleasures and blessings of kingdom life. He is the KING of kings and LORD of lords. As such, He is able to meet our every need. I picture these children laughing and exhibiting joy of having been received by Jesus.

My question for myself this morning is this: How do I receive Jesus? Is He my source of joy and comfort? Is He the One that I turn to when I am in need? As I call Him my Lord, do my actions reflect that fact? Am I as a little child and relish the fact that Jesus has His hands upon me?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...