Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 8:27-30


Mark 8:27-30   "And Jesus went out, and his disciples, into the towns of Caesarea Philippi: and by the way he asked his disciples, saying unto them, Whom do men say that I am?  (28)  And they answered, John the Baptist: but some say, Elias; and others, One of the prophets.  (29)  And he saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Peter answereth and saith unto him, Thou art the Christ.  (30)  And he charged them that they should tell no man of him."

The people had never encountered a man such as Jesus. They truly did not know what to make of Him. There was much speculation concerning Him. Some thought He was one of the prophets of old who had been brought back from the dead. Some thought He was John the Baptist revived. As they were traveling along, Jesus talked to His disciples concerning this. "Whom do men say I am?" Of course, we know that Jesus already knew the answer, but it seems His intention was to get to the heart of what His disciples were thinking.

In God's Word, there are often questions asked by God. For instance, "Adam where art thou?" He asked Jacob when wrestling with him, "What is your name?" When Elijah was discouraged and hid himself in a cave, the Lord asked "What doest thou here?" It seems the purpose for God asking a question is not to enlighten Himself; rather, He asks questions of us to make us stop and think. Adam was hiding because he had transgressed God's one command. Jacob needed to stop and think about his life and what he had done to bring himself to that place. Elijah had confronted the prophets of Baal, yet he ran for fear of his life when Jezebel threatened him. God's questions to us are to make us stop and think about what we are doing and where our actions have taken us.

"Whom do men say that I am?" That was the question that led the disciples to think about themselves and their thoughts of Jesus. "Whom do you say I am?" Peter was a man who sometimes was quick to speak and slow to think, but this time he got it right. "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." You are Messiah, the promised One. You're more than just a good man. You're more than a prophet. You're more than a preacher of righteousness. You're more than a good example for us. You are the Son of God, the Promised Redeemer!

This morning, if that question was posed to us, what would be our answer? If we are in agreement with Peter (and I know we are), what is the basis for being in agreement with Him? Is it just because we have been taught that from our youth on up? Is it just because we read it in a book? Or do we have it written in our hearts that this Jesus is the One Who has saved me from my sin? He is the One Who comes to me in my darkest hours to speak words of comfort to me. He is the One when I need correcting Who comes to me to show me the proper way to walk with Him. He is my Shepherd Who guides me, feeds my soul, refreshes me, never leaves me, and has a place prepared for me. But most of all, He is the One Who took my place on the cross. He shed His blood to pay for my sins. Though I could never repay what He has done, I owe Him my everything. He loves me unconditionally. I love Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...