Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 9:20-24


Mark 9:20-24  "And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.  (21)  And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child.  (22)  And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.  (23)  Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.  (24)  And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."

How many times have we had to identify with this father? "Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief." We certainly believe in the power and glory of our Saviour, Jesus Christ. We believe His is indeed the Son of God. We believe He left heaven to come to this earth. He walked among a people that was so contradictory to His nature, for He Who had no sin, walked among sinners. But do we understand that same Jesus in all His glory abides with us today and is able to help us in any and all situations? Do we lean upon Him, fully trusting His grace to be sufficient for our every need?

Jesus had just been on the mountaintop with Peter, James, and John. He had been transfigured and they had seen His glory. While that was happening above, a man had brought his son to the disciples of Jesus who were waiting the return of Christ. Be assured these same disciples had been given power to heal. Jesus had sent them out and when they came back they had rejoiced that blind eyes had been opened, lame legs had been strengthened, diseases had been healed, and even the dead had been raised. But when this man brought his son to them, they were unable to help him. As a result of their inability, the scribes were questioning them and, no doubt, also questioning the viability of Jesus.

Jesus gave the father one simple instruction: "Bring him to me." My thought for this morning concerns my consistency in taking my situations to Jesus. First, do I insist on trying to fix things on my own? Do I think that if I worry enough or if I try hard enough, I can eventually come up with a solution? And IF, I have taken it to Jesus, how is my heart condition when I pray about it? Am I fully convinced that Jesus will give the solution to the concern that I have? Or, am I simply praying because that is what I feel I am supposed to do?

As you can see, today's text creates more questions than answers for me. All too often, I find myself as that father. I find myself trying this and trying that. I find myself fretting and worrying about a thing. And honestly, it seems that when I do that, God is saying, "Go ahead and worry about it. When you realize your worry is not helping, then bring it to me."

I know the first part of this scene all too well. I know that I cannot do anything without my Lord. I have to admit that I'm still working on the second part. I am reminded of an old hymn this morning. "Are you weary? Are you heavy hearted? Tell it to Jesus. Tell it to Jesus. Are you grieving over joys departed? Tell it to Jesus alone."  Jesus healed this son. Jesus strengthened the father's faith. Afterward, Jesus explained to the disciples that there are some situations in life where fasting and prayer must be joined together. And in the final conclusion, Jesus taught that He is able to help in every situation we encounter. Do I believe?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...