Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 9:5-6


Mark 9:5-6   "And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.  (6)  For he wist not what to say; for they were sore afraid."

What could have taken place that would stir Peter to say, "It is good for us to be here"?

Jesus had taken Peter, James, and John to a high mountain and there was transformed in front of their very eyes. These three men were blessed of the Lord to be able to see a portion of the true glory of the Lord Jesus Christ. I say a portion of His glory, for the Word of God tells us that no man shall see God while in this flesh. His glory is too great for us to be able to see and live. That's why God, in His wisdom, has ordained that we shall be changed from mortal to immortal to enter heaven and see His glory. (Sorry, I think I just went down a rabbit trail, didn't I?)

They had seen Jesus transformed and there stood with Him Moses and Elijah. Mark says, "they were talking with Jesus." Luke tells us they appeared in glory and talked with Jesus of His decease which He should accomplish in Jerusalem. The word, accomplish, seems to be an interesting word but I will try not to go down that rabbit trail this morning. I don't want to get sidetracked on Moses and Elijah either, for when Peter said he wanted to build three tabernacles, one for Jesus, one for Moses, and one for Elijah, the voice of God came out of heaven and said, "This is my beloved Son, hear ye him." So I want to focus on Jesus at this point.

"Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, There's just something about that name. Master, Saviour, Jesus, like the fragrance after the rain. Kings and kingdoms may all pass away. But there's something about that name." The Father says, Hear my Son. What does this have to do with us this morning? It is my experience that when I am truly in the presence of my Lord, all other things move to the side. When I am blessed to see a portion of His glory, I experience a peace and joy that cannot be compared to anything else. This can occur whether it be in a gathering of saints to worship, or as I sit in my study to read the Word of God. When this happens, I am in full agreement with Peter, "Lord, it is good to be here."

Yes, kings and kingdoms may all pass away, but the King of all kings and the Lord of all lords will forever reign in His majestic glory. I'm so thankful when, by faith, I am blessed to see my Jesus. I know one day, by God's grace, I shall see Him face to face. But for now, in this world with all its struggles, I am so thankful for every opportunity to be able to worship my Lord in His glory.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...