Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 9:5-6


Mark 9:5-6   "And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.  (6)  For he wist not what to say; for they were sore afraid."

What could have taken place that would stir Peter to say, "It is good for us to be here"?

Jesus had taken Peter, James, and John to a high mountain and there was transformed in front of their very eyes. These three men were blessed of the Lord to be able to see a portion of the true glory of the Lord Jesus Christ. I say a portion of His glory, for the Word of God tells us that no man shall see God while in this flesh. His glory is too great for us to be able to see and live. That's why God, in His wisdom, has ordained that we shall be changed from mortal to immortal to enter heaven and see His glory. (Sorry, I think I just went down a rabbit trail, didn't I?)

They had seen Jesus transformed and there stood with Him Moses and Elijah. Mark says, "they were talking with Jesus." Luke tells us they appeared in glory and talked with Jesus of His decease which He should accomplish in Jerusalem. The word, accomplish, seems to be an interesting word but I will try not to go down that rabbit trail this morning. I don't want to get sidetracked on Moses and Elijah either, for when Peter said he wanted to build three tabernacles, one for Jesus, one for Moses, and one for Elijah, the voice of God came out of heaven and said, "This is my beloved Son, hear ye him." So I want to focus on Jesus at this point.

"Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, There's just something about that name. Master, Saviour, Jesus, like the fragrance after the rain. Kings and kingdoms may all pass away. But there's something about that name." The Father says, Hear my Son. What does this have to do with us this morning? It is my experience that when I am truly in the presence of my Lord, all other things move to the side. When I am blessed to see a portion of His glory, I experience a peace and joy that cannot be compared to anything else. This can occur whether it be in a gathering of saints to worship, or as I sit in my study to read the Word of God. When this happens, I am in full agreement with Peter, "Lord, it is good to be here."

Yes, kings and kingdoms may all pass away, but the King of all kings and the Lord of all lords will forever reign in His majestic glory. I'm so thankful when, by faith, I am blessed to see my Jesus. I know one day, by God's grace, I shall see Him face to face. But for now, in this world with all its struggles, I am so thankful for every opportunity to be able to worship my Lord in His glory.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51