Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 9:5-8


Mark 9:5-8   "And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.  (6)  For he wist not what to say; for they were sore afraid.  (7)  And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.  (8)  And suddenly, when they had looked round about, they saw no man any more, save Jesus only with themselves."

There are two thoughts I want to share this morning. These verses are taken from the viewpoint of the three disciples who went with Jesus to the top of the mountain. Mainly, this is Peter's viewpoint of the events. First, I say I cannot imagine the glory and the joy that was experienced by these three men as they watched Jesus being transfigured before their very eyes. This glory went with them for the rest of their lives.

As Peter observed Jesus and Moses and Elijah, we are told that did not know what to say. There are times in each of our lives that we experience something so grand that we do not have words to describe or to relate what we have seen. This surely was one of those moments for Peter. He did not know what to say, but that did not stop him from talking. There have been times in my ministry when I did not know what to say to someone when they were experiencing rough times. I was once told the main thing was not what I said, but just to be there with an individual. Remember Job's three friends? They sat with Job for seven days without speaking and then they began to speak. I've often said they did more good when they were not speaking than after they opened their mouths. 

Peter did not know what to say, but he was so impressed by what he had experienced that he felt something had to be done. So, he began to speak. This is such a glorious event that we must do something to honor what we have seen. We will build three tabernacles. They did not build three tabernacles and they did remember this day. In Peter's second letter, he wrote of this day when declaring the certainty of the power of God and the person of Jesus Christ. There is a sweet song of praise that says, "Lord prepare me to be a sanctuary, pure and holy, tried and true." We are to be living "tabernacles" unto the glory of God. Again, it has been said by another that the greatest sermon preached does not occur in the pulpit; rather, by the lives we live each day.

The second thought I want to leave with you is found in verse 8. "They saw no man any more, save Jesus only with themselves." That is my desire each time I stand to proclaim the Word of God. I want each listener to be aware of the presence of only one person - Jesus Christ. He is the only One that is worthy of our praise and honor. God the Father pointed them away from Moses and Elijah. Yes, they were saints of God who were used in a mighty way by God, but only Jesus is worthy of our admiration. Our tabernacles are not testimony of men. We are to testify of the goodness of our Lord and the grace of God bestowed upon unworthy sinners. All praise and honor belongs to our Lord. Let us testify of His goodness.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...