Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 13:31


Mark 13:31    "Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away."

After Jesus had told the disciples that the buildings of Jerusalem would be destroyed, they asked when it would occur. As you can see, I have skipped past several verses. They are important verses, as all of the Bible is important. In those verses, I believe Jesus is answering their question concerning the destruction of Jerusalem. Many believe He is talking about the end of time as we know it today. I skip them because, in my opinion, in a devotional such as this, there would be an opening to questions rather than an edifying of the body of Christ. I will say that in verse 30, Jesus spoke of that generation to which He was speaking that those things would take place. But whether you believe they are speaking to the end of the Jewish age or they are speaking to the very end of time, I want our attention this morning to be on the verse at hand.

"Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away." There was a time when the world as had been to that point was destroyed. The Roman army encircled Jerusalem and the city was completely destroyed, including the temple. There is coming a time when this earth as we know it will no longer be in existence. The skies will open up, Jesus Christ will step out on the clouds, and time will be no more as He calls His children home to be with Him in heaven's glory. Those words will not pass away. They shall be fulfilled.

Jesus said, "My words shall not pass away." It is so very important for us to be grounded in the faith once delivered to the saints, the Bible. The Words of God are truth and they are enlightenment to our souls. They are profitable for our daily living. They guide us through this low ground of sin and sorrow. They give us hope for that which lies ahead. They are truth for evermore. I cannot encourage us enough to spend time in the Word of God.

I have found that if I neglect time in the Word, then I can literally feel myself shrinking and withering. I began these morning devotions as a selfish thing, in that I need to begin my day with the Lord. Making myself to be disciplined to come to God's Word in the beginning helps me to stay a little more focused throughout the day. I thank you for sharing this time with me. I leave you today with this thought. That which we think to be the most stable thing in our lives - the very ground upon which we stand - will pass away. There is coming a day when it no longer shall be, but Jesus said, "My words shall not pass away."

May we be grounded in His Word.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51