Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:18-19


Mark 14:18-19    "And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me.  (19)  And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto him one by one, Is it I? and another said, Is it I?"

"Is it I?" Jesus had just made a statement that one of the twelve would betray Him. To this statement, each of the twelve began to question whether he would be the one to betray Jesus. This tells me that human nature is such that any of the twelve were capable of betraying Jesus. Two previous verses in the chapter give us the information that Judas Iscariot was the one who had bargained with the chief priests to betray Jesus into their hands. But the other eleven disciples did not know this had taken place. "Is it I?" Could I be the one to do this terrible deed?

Luke's account of the Gospel tells us a little more about the disciples and their conversation concerning who could possibly be the betrayer.  "And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest." (Luke 22:24) Their conversation quickly changed from "Is it I?" to "Oh no, I could not possibly be the one to betray Him." In my thoughts, they probably began comparing all their great accomplishments. No doubt, they had all done great things; yet, they understood their own weakness when it came to this statement concerning betrayal.

My thought this morning concerns not the twelve, not even Judas; rather, my thoughts concern the possibility of, "Is it I?"  Do I have the capability to betray my Lord? I know Judas betrayed Him for thirty pieces of silver. Have I ever betrayed Him for much less than that? I want to be true to my Lord. But I also know that it takes effort on my part to deny myself and follow Him. Jesus said that it takes much energy to enter the kingdom of heaven where we experience peace and joy from doing the right thing. The King James Version uses the words, "the violent taketh it by force."  The word violent here means to use energetic force to turn from the way of the world and follow our Lord Jesus.

Heavenly Father, I ask you to please assist me to be energetic in denying the tendencies of my flesh that I might honor you.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...