Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:51-52


Mark 14:51-52    "And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:  (52)  And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked."

I admit this morning that these two verses are a mystery to me; yet, I could not just skip over them in our study of Mark. Who was this young man? What significance does he hold? Why was he there in the Garden of Gethsemane that night? Why did Mark feel the need to include this young man in his account of the Gospel? (Yes, I know the Holy Spirit inspired the words of Mark.) None of the other three accounts of the Gospel include this young man.

Dr. Gill makes some suggestions as to who this young man could be, but acknowledges that it is not certain as to his identity. So, this morning, I'm going to make a suggestion as to who this young man could possibly have been. Do you remember back in Mark chapter 10, there was a young man who came to Jesus inquiring of eternal life?  Jesus told him to sell his possessions and give to the poor. "And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions." (Mark 10:22)

I admit to you that my thoughts now are just my thoughts.  In my heart, I want to believe this young man is the same as that one who went away sad. I want to believe that he went away sad, but gave much thought to what Jesus had told him. I want to believe that he had second thoughts and indeed did sell his possessions and gave to the poor. Mark seems to give the impression that this cloth was all the man had left and that was to cover his nakedness. And ultimately, he even let go of the cloth in order to be close to Jesus.

The devotion this morning for me holds this meaning. Have I ever neglected to do what the Holy Spirit instructed me to do? Have I ever had second thoughts and then obeyed the direction of the Lord? Aren't you thankful that the Lord allows room for our misguidings and then continues to draw us into the correct path? There are folks who carry regrets with them all their lives because they fail to realize God allows for our misgivings. Could that be you this morning?

Again, these are my thoughts. The Scripture is not clear as to the identity of this young man. But isn't it nice to think that God allows for our mistakes and gives space to repent?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51