Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67


Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth."

It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place.

It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "Peter, why did you not go stand with Jesus - as you said you would do?"  I have to admit to you, that is the easy way to read the Bible.

But this morning, I read where Jesus stood. I read where Peter stood. I see the great difference between the two places. One was filled with hurt and pain, shame and humiliation. The other was filled with the warmth from the fire of the world. I still see Jesus suffering for me. I see Him enduring such pain for me. But then when I turn to the look at the fire, I no longer see Peter. I see myself.

There was a song that had some popularity several years ago that spoke about hearing the hammer driving the nails through the hands and feet of Jesus. The song goes on about the sound and the noise and how terrible it is. But then, the person looks and the hammer is in his hand.  This morning, I see Peter warming his hands as he stands by the fire. People suspect him of being one of the followers of Jesus, but he denies. Yes, he denies - not once, not twice, but three times. He declares the third time with a curse, I do not know the man.

How many times have my actions, my words, my thoughts indicated that I do not know the man. Oh, I love Him. Peter loved Him. I want to be with Him. Peter wanted to be with Him. I want to walk and talk with Him. Peter wanted to walk and talk with Him. But when it came down to the place where Peter could have made such a wonderful testimony as to the difference this man had made in his life, Peter tried to blend in with the world.

My thoughts to myself this morning are this - uncomfortable as they are - Am I trying to blend in with the world? Or am I looking for any and every opportunity to tell others about my Jesus?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51