Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 16:1-4


Mark 16:1-4    "And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.  (2)  And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.  (3)  And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?  (4)  And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great."

Have you ever made plans and thought you had figured every detail and suddenly, something comes to mind that needs to be done? Not only does it need to be done, but you are not able to do it. Plans are complete. Materials are bought. But there is one "minor" detail that has to be done. Who will I get to do that for me?

It's Sunday morning. For three days, these ladies have been planning, thinking, accumulating the materials needed to accomplish that which they have planned to do. When the body of Jesus was taken from the cross, they could not properly anoint His body for burial. It was so near time for the Sabbath to begin, that they did not have time to wash and prepare His body. They had to await this morning to come to the tomb and finish that which had been started three days before. But there was one "minor" detail that needed to be done. A huge stone had been rolled in front of the tomb. Who would roll that stone away for them? Notice, they did not allow that detail to prevent them from coming to the tomb. They were prepared to do that which they intended, trusting that someone would roll the stone for them.

My devotion this morning is a reminder to myself that our God is in the details. He leaves nothing incomplete. He had put it on their hearts to do this act of love for Jesus. He had helped them make preparations. He had shown them the way back to the tomb. And when they arrived, God had already performed that which they wondered as to how it would be accomplished. They questioned, "Who shall roll away the stone?" .... "When they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away."

When I ask the Lord to plan my actions, He does the action according to His plan. I have to admit that I too often want to make my own plans and then worry about the details later. I'm not saying these ladies did anything haphazzardly. But these verses reminded me this morning, that I too often do things on the spur of the moment without thinking all the way through. My prayer for myself this morning is that I would include God in the planning and then He will include me in the details.

I cannot leave the devotion without saying something about verse 2, "... at the rising of the sun." Not only were they at the tomb as the sun arose, but when they arrived at the tomb the Son had already risen. Praise His Holy Name!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51