Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Joshua 3:14-17


Joshua 3:14-17    "And it came to pass, when the people removed from their tents, to pass over Jordan, and the priests bearing the ark of the covenant before the people;  (15)  And as they that bare the ark were come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his banks all the time of harvest,)  (16)  That the waters which came down from above stood and rose up upon an heap very far from the city Adam, that is beside Zaretan: and those that came down toward the sea of the plain, even the salt sea, failed, and were cut off: and the people passed over right against Jericho.  (17)  And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the midst of Jordan, and all the Israelites passed over on dry ground, until all the people were passed clean over Jordan."

God's promises are true. How many times can we repeat that? I think most of us need reminding on a regular basis. We take hold of His promise. We believe it. We declare our trust in Him. We take the first step. But then what happens? Maybe what I'm saying so far does not apply to you. If so, please pray for the rest of us. It seems to me that when I am in the setting of friendly God fearing people that I can take hold of those promises and be strengthened in them. Then when I leave the meeting house and go back into an unfriendly world, it is not quite so easy.

There is a scene portrayed in the book of Ezekiel where the Lord leads him into the water. At first he goes to the ankle, then to the knee, then deeper and finally he is swimming in the water. Sometimes, we want to jump in over our heads and then we do not know what to do. The Lord is longsuffering and merciful. He understands our weakness and He helps us deal with those weaknesses. He leads us gently and when we feel we cannot walk, He lifts us up in His arms and carries us. A Gospel song that was popular several years ago says, "I am learning to lean on Jesus."

Why am I going off on a tangent this morning?  Let's look at the steps taken by Israel in our verses today. The first thing they did was listen to the direction given by the Lord. Then they removed themselves from the tent. They left their comfort zone. They understood Joshua was now their leader. By faith, the priests stepped into the water. When they did, the water stood on a heap in obedience to the command of God. As the priests stood there, holding the ark of the covenant, the people stepped into the river bed and walked across to the other side. Yes, God is faithful. He said He would and He did. Again, I ask myself - How many times do I need to hear that? I'm thankful that no matter how many times I hear those words, they ring true! God is always faithful. I want to be faithful to Him even if it means taking baby steps.

Lord, teach me your way that I might experience life to its fullest. The world drains and opposes that which is true by offering a substitute that only robs of true joy. Your way, O Lord, is the path of righteousness. It is the right path for us. Help us to lean on you, we pray in Christ's name. Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...