Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Joshua 3:6-9


Joshua 3:6-9    "And Joshua spake unto the priests, saying, Take up the ark of the covenant, and pass over before the people. And they took up the ark of the covenant, and went before the people.  (7)  And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.  (8)  And thou shalt command the priests that bear the ark of the covenant, saying, When ye are come to the brink of the water of Jordan, ye shall stand still in Jordan.  (9)  And Joshua said unto the children of Israel, Come hither, and hear the words of the LORD your God."

It is amazing to see the Lord in action as He deals with His people. For forty years, the people had followed Moses. They had heard him as he relayed the law of God to them. They had seen him in his dealings with the people. They were accustomed to his way of doing things. Now there is a new leader. In my thoughts, this is the reason God had very plainly said to Joshua: "Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel." (Joshua 1:2) Moses is dead. You take the people over Jordan. You are the one I have appointed to lead the people. Joshua had the assurance that God was leading him. Now the people needed the same assurance.

God, in His infinite wisdom, determined to show the people immediately that Joshua was the appointed leader. In verse 7 of our text, God said to Joshua, "This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee." God determined that Israel would know and be established in the leadership of Joshua. "As I was with Moses, so I will be with thee." What was the first great miracle that God worked to show that Moses was their leader? Was it not the parting of the waters of the Red Sea? Now they are at another body of water that seemingly is impossible to cross. At the risk of getting ahead of myself, what will be the first miracle that God performs to establish Joshua as their new leader? That's right! He is going to part water once again. This time it will be the flooded Jordan River. "As I was with Moses, so I will be with thee." God is so good.

How did Joshua show the people that God was with him? He instructed the priests to carry the ark of the covenant to the brink of the water and then stand still. Then Joshua said to the people: "Come hither, and hear the words of the LORD your God."  God surely chose a wise leader for Israel. Joshua was not concerned in showing himself to be in charge. He did not say, "Listen to me." Rather, he instructed the people to listen to the words of the Lord. He was establishing himself as God's appointed leader and messenger.

What is the lesson for us this morning?  As I try to share the message of the Lord, it is most important that message be established as indeed the words of the Lord. As you share the message of Jesus Christ in this dark world, it is most important that message be established as the Word of God, not just "what I think".  Let us be diligent in showing forth the word of life in this world that is withering up in darkness. Jesus Christ still is that Light of the world.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51