Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Joshua 10:12-14


Joshua 10:12-14    "Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.  (13)  And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.  (14)  And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel."

Israel was fighting against the five kings that had come against them. The day was wearing on and they were in unfamiliar territory. The Amorites knew the terrain like the back of their hands. In darkness, they could easily have hidden and then come back to harrass Israel. What were they to do? How could they ever win this battle? They had the Master tactician on their side, the King of kings and the Lord of lords. They had the Creator and Sustainer of the universe on their side. This was not a great setback for the Lord; instead, He just commanded the sun and moon to stand still. He maintained daylight until the Israelites were able to obtain victory. There had never been a day like that before nor has there been one since. God is so good, isn't He?

I must admit to you, God has never caused the sun to stand still for me. He has never parted a sea or a river for me. He has never given water from a rock nor bread from heaven for me. But this thing I know, if I ever needed for any of that to take place in order for me to gain victory in my life, He would do that for me. The sun has never stood still for me, but the SON of God surely has. When I pour out my heart to God, He stands still for me. When I need comfort, He stands still for me. When I need encouragement, He stands still for me. When I need correcting, He stands still for me.  His love and compassion for me is amazing. There is something He did that goes beyond my wildest expectation: He left heaven's glory to come to this earth to take my place on an old rugged cross. He laid down His life, shedding His righteous blood, that my sins would be washed away. He brought me into His family by His wonderful grace. I am forgiven! That is the greatest light that could ever be given in order for me to fight the everyday battles of life.

And when I think that God, His Son not sparing, sent Him to die; I scarce can take it in.
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing. He bled and died to take away my sin.
Then sings my soul, my Saviour, God to thee - HOW GREAT THOU ART!!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51