Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Joshua 10:42-43


Joshua 10:42-43   "And all these kings and their land did Joshua take at one time, because the LORD God of Israel fought for Israel.  (43)  And Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, unto the camp to Gilgal."

The Lord blessed Israel to destroy the five kings that had come against them. Let us remember this is the land that God had been promised to them. But there were natural enemies to Israel that lived within the land. In order for the Israelites to live in peace, the inhabitants of the land had to be destroyed. This was by the order given to them from God. In reading the tenth chapter of Joshua, we see Israel methodically overtaking city by city. If you traced the pattern on a map, you would see they started at one point and did a criss-cross pattern going in one direction to destroy each place. The Lord led them in that manner so there would be none to circle back around and catch Israel offguard.  But be certain, God's instructions were to completely overtake the land.

Twice in this tenth chapter, we read that Joshua and Israel "returned... to Gilgal." After the five kings, they returned to Gilgal. After the sweep of half of the nation, they returned to Gilgal. Why was it important to return to this place each time? Was there a particular importance in returning to Gilgal? I believe there was a reason.  It was at Gilgal that the Lord stopped the waters of the flooded Jordan River while Israel crossed. It was at Gilgal that twelve stones had been set up in the midst of the river. It was at Gilgal that the 12 stones had been set up as a memorial that their children in ages to come would be reminded that God had given a great deliverance. But for this moment in their lives, the people needed reminding of the power of God to deliver. They went back to Gilgal and I believe they looked at the stones and were given great encouragement to continue on.

Do you have a Gilgal in your life? Do you have a place or time that you can look back and know for a fact that God gave you a great deliverance? I do not know the exact time that I was born again. I feel I've always loved the Lord even when I was negligent in serving Him. I cannot take you to the place and time where the Holy Spirit performed the work of regeneration, but there are times in my life when I know the Lord was with me and gave me a great deliverance. There have been times when I can look back and know the hand of God was upon me to deliver me safely from a tragedy. I think back on those times and try to say, "Thank you Lord for your mercy on me." It's important to have a "Gilgal" in your life when the trials and battles of life come at you so that you can look back and say, "But my Lord is my Deliverer!"

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51