Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Joshua 18:1-3

Joshua 18:1-3    "And the whole congregation of the children of Israel assembled together at Shiloh, and set up the tabernacle of the congregation there. And the land was subdued before them.  (2)  And there remained among the children of Israel seven tribes, which had not yet received their inheritance.  (3)  And Joshua said unto the children of Israel, How long are ye slack to go to possess the land, which the LORD God of your fathers hath given you?"

We jumped several chapters to chapter 18. The chapters previous to this list families and the borders of the land given to them. As I read through them, I was not stirred by any of the verses that I read. We come to chapter 18 and there are still some families that have not occupied the land which was promised to them. In fact, seven tribes had not received their inheritance. Joshua asks them a very important question and actually one that pertains to us today. "How long are ye slack to go to possess the land, which the LORD God of your fathers hath given you?"

You might ask, "How does this pertain to us today?" Today's devotion will be very to the point: Is there something that has prevented me from enjoying the full blessings of the Lord? For whatever reason, have I held back from possessing the promise of peace and joy in the Lord? I think back to the time when I felt the Holy Spirit drawing me and calling me into the ministry. I tried to substitute so many other things, but none of them give the fulness of peace that I knew I needed in my life. I ran from the ministry for several years before being brought to the place of saying, "Lord, take me and use me if this is what you would have me to do."  I look back and realize I was very "slack in possessing the land." I robbed myself of many blessings because I was fearful of fully committing myself into the Lord's hands.

Today, are you, am I, slack in possessing the land promised to us by the Lord? Am I holding back from fully committing myself into His service? May this be the day that I fully dedicate whatever gift the Lord has given to His service.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51