Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Joshua 8:29


Joshua 8:29    "And the king of Ai he hanged on a tree until eventide: and as soon as the sun was down, Joshua commanded that they should take his carcase down from the tree, and cast it at the entering of the gate of the city, and raise thereon a great heap of stones, that remaineth unto this day."

Israel went against Ai again. This time, they went under the Lord's instructions and in His blessings. The result was much different from the first time.  They destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai as instructed by God.  I realize the first part of this verse is very explicit in its description of what they did to the king of Ai, but I wanted to use this verse for a particular reason as it came to me this morning.  I especially want to think about the last part of this verse: they were to "raise thereon a great heap of stones, that remaineth unto this day." This was the burial place for the king of Ai.

In more than one place, we read of memorials being raised of stones that "remaineth unto this day." It never became "just a pile of rocks"; rather, the history behind the heap of stones was passed from generation to generation. Remember when they took twelve stones from the Jordan River? The Lord instructed the people that in generations to come when their children would ask the meaning of the stones, they were to tell them of the great deliverance given by the Lord.  We are told those stones "remaineth unto this day".

Concerning the heap of stones at Ai, the people were to tell the history behind those stones. As I read the account of what took place, and in my mind I see those stones, they tell me the whole story. Those stones tell me that Israel tried to go in their own strength and failed. Also those stones tell me that when they went in the strength of the Lord, He gave them a great victory.

I admit to you that when I look at statues and monuments, I don't always stop to remember why they were erected. They always serve a twofold purpose. They tell both the positive and negative sides of the story.  I think the mind is trained to remember the positive over the negative. That's why it is so important to remember the history behind any monument. Though this could easily turn political, I don't mean it in that way. I want to remind myself and each one of the importance of sharing our heritage with our children. It is important to make certain our children and grandchildren understand the role that God has played in securing our great nation. Without Him, we shall surely fall - just as Israel fell when they tried to take Ai on their own.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...