Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: 2 Chronicles 9:4-7


2 Chronicles 9:4-7    "And the meat of his table, and the sitting of his servants, and the attendance of his ministers, and their apparel; his cupbearers also, and their apparel; and his ascent by which he went up into the house of the LORD; there was no more spirit in her.  (5)  And she said to the king, It was a true report which I heard in mine own land of thine acts, and of thy wisdom:  (6)  Howbeit I believed not their words, until I came, and mine eyes had seen it: and, behold, the one half of the greatness of thy wisdom was not told me: for thou exceedest the fame that I heard.  (7)  Happy are thy men, and happy are these thy servants, which stand continually before thee, and hear thy wisdom."

The temple was completed. Worship and service unto the Lord were being conducted on a daily basis. Solomon's wisdom, strength, riches, and fame were growing throughout the known world at that time.  The Queen of Sheba heard of his success and came to see for herself concerning his wisdom. She came with many camels loaded with "spices, and gold in abundance, and precious stones." She and Solomon sat together and she began to ask questions and listen to his wisdom. We are told that whatever she asked, he held nothing back from her. She observed his servants and those in attendance to the things of everyday life. She observed the ministers. She watched how Solomon went in and out before the people. Remember Solomon's request to God? "I don't even know how to go in and out before such a people as this."  The Queen said to Solomon, "It was a true report which I heard in mine own land of thine acts, and of thy wisdom." Then she admitted, "I didn't believe them until I came and saw for myself."

Fast forward now a thousand years later. Jesus has come to the Jordan River to be baptized of John, the Baptist. John has made the beautiful declaration, "Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world." John's followers had observed and listened to Jesus' speak. "And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.  (38)  Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?  (39)  He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour." (John 1:38-39) Can we see a comparison? Sheba had to "come and see" concerning the reports of Solomon. These two disciples of John had questions to which Jesus said, "Come and see".

The same response is given to you and me today. We have questions. We have concerns. There are many things we do not understand and yet, we believe the Bible holds the answers to our situations. How can we know they really apply to us? How can we know God's Word to be effectual in our individual lives?  Jesus says to you and me, "Come and see." In the Old Testament, God speaks to us through the Prophet Malachi, "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Malachi 3:10). This is not just speaking of giving of our financial possessions. God is saying to us, "Give me your firstfruits." Give me your best and see what I will do. The Lord is the greatest time manager, financial manager, project manager, life manager of all. He says, "Come and see." Try me. Prove me. See if I won't be true to my Word.

My question today:  Am I willing to trust the Lord with whatever I feel to be of the utmost importance and trust Him to provide my utmost need? He says, "Come and see."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51