Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: 2 Chronicles 12:1

2 Chronicles 12:1    "And it came to pass, when Rehoboam had established the kingdom, and had strengthened himself, he forsook the law of the LORD, and all Israel with him."


We see something happening to Rehoboam that is so typical of the carnal nature of mankind. He became so strong that he started relying upon himself instead of the Lord. Strength is a wonderful thing unless it becomes a source of pride. We all have seen, and maybe experienced ourselves, when someone has surgery and as soon as they begin to feel better from the effects of the initial operation, they think they can go right back to doing anything they want. If you will, please excuse me for using a personal experience. Several years ago I had my gall bladder removed. There were only three small puncture wounds instead of the major incision. A few days later, I was feeling good and not too sore. Sunday was coming and I didn't want anyone else to take my place. Youth in the ministry was speaking at that point rather than wisdom. I was strong enough. After all, it had been four or five days after the surgery and I had heard that three days was pretty much maximum to feeling better. What did I do? You guessed it. I was determined to take the stand on Sunday morning. To this day, I remember how difficult it was to be able to walk out of the stand and get back to the front pew where I could sit down. Yes, the Lord allowed me to speak (I'm not sure how much preaching I did), but then He reminded me that I'm not invincible.

That's a poor example, but I think most of us have had that "I can do it myself" type experience where the Lord reminded us that we are completely dependent upon Him. Rehoboam had been blessed by the Lord. He had fenced cities all around Jerusalem and they were manned with trained soldiers. They were equipped with the latest weaponry of the day. They were completely safe. Right? Nothing could take them. Right? They had no need to fear. As long as they were leaning upon the Lord, they could rest in that fact. But when Rehoboam was lifted up and felt himself to be strong enough, he did not feel a need for God.

I remember reading years ago a story of a man who had been imprisoned in Russia. As he watched the communists taking over, he wrote: "We have forgotten God." For those of us who remember, the Communists took over and it went downhill from there. As I see the things that are taking place in the streets of America today, I have to ask: Have we forgotten God?  Has America come to the place where we feel we are self-sufficient in weaponry and in monetary means that we do not need the Lord any more?  

I see a movement back toward God that I pray will continue and spread throughout our nation. My heart was blessed to see the crowd in Washington D.C. this past weekend. I am encouraged that people are speaking of prayer more than has been in a while. I pray that as we see what happens to Rehoboam, our hearts will be even more united to come together as truly one nation under God. People indeed need the Lord.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51