Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: 2 Chronicles 12:1

2 Chronicles 12:1    "And it came to pass, when Rehoboam had established the kingdom, and had strengthened himself, he forsook the law of the LORD, and all Israel with him."


We see something happening to Rehoboam that is so typical of the carnal nature of mankind. He became so strong that he started relying upon himself instead of the Lord. Strength is a wonderful thing unless it becomes a source of pride. We all have seen, and maybe experienced ourselves, when someone has surgery and as soon as they begin to feel better from the effects of the initial operation, they think they can go right back to doing anything they want. If you will, please excuse me for using a personal experience. Several years ago I had my gall bladder removed. There were only three small puncture wounds instead of the major incision. A few days later, I was feeling good and not too sore. Sunday was coming and I didn't want anyone else to take my place. Youth in the ministry was speaking at that point rather than wisdom. I was strong enough. After all, it had been four or five days after the surgery and I had heard that three days was pretty much maximum to feeling better. What did I do? You guessed it. I was determined to take the stand on Sunday morning. To this day, I remember how difficult it was to be able to walk out of the stand and get back to the front pew where I could sit down. Yes, the Lord allowed me to speak (I'm not sure how much preaching I did), but then He reminded me that I'm not invincible.

That's a poor example, but I think most of us have had that "I can do it myself" type experience where the Lord reminded us that we are completely dependent upon Him. Rehoboam had been blessed by the Lord. He had fenced cities all around Jerusalem and they were manned with trained soldiers. They were equipped with the latest weaponry of the day. They were completely safe. Right? Nothing could take them. Right? They had no need to fear. As long as they were leaning upon the Lord, they could rest in that fact. But when Rehoboam was lifted up and felt himself to be strong enough, he did not feel a need for God.

I remember reading years ago a story of a man who had been imprisoned in Russia. As he watched the communists taking over, he wrote: "We have forgotten God." For those of us who remember, the Communists took over and it went downhill from there. As I see the things that are taking place in the streets of America today, I have to ask: Have we forgotten God?  Has America come to the place where we feel we are self-sufficient in weaponry and in monetary means that we do not need the Lord any more?  

I see a movement back toward God that I pray will continue and spread throughout our nation. My heart was blessed to see the crowd in Washington D.C. this past weekend. I am encouraged that people are speaking of prayer more than has been in a while. I pray that as we see what happens to Rehoboam, our hearts will be even more united to come together as truly one nation under God. People indeed need the Lord.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...