Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: 2 Chronicles 18:6-7

2 Chronicles 18:6-7    "But Jehoshaphat said, Is there not here a prophet of the LORD besides, that we might enquire of him?  (7)  And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, There is yet one man, by whom we may enquire of the LORD: but I hate him; for he never prophesied good unto me, but always evil: the same is Micaiah the son of Imla. And Jehoshaphat said, Let not the king say so."

We continue our study of Jehoshaphat. The Lord had blessed him tremendously in every way. Ahab, king of Israel, asked him to come help them in a battle. "And Ahab king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat king of Judah, Wilt thou go with me to Ramothgilead? And he answered him, I am as thou art, and my people as thy people; and we will be with thee in the war." (2 Chronicles 18:3) Before they went into battle, Jehoshaphat asked King Ahab concerning prophets that they may seek the Lord's guidance. Ahab called the prophets of Israel who said, "Go into battle." This is when our text comes into the picture. "Is there not here a prophet of the LORD?" Jehoshaphat knew the prophets of Israel were men appointed rather than called of God. We read Ahab's answer. "There is yet one man, but I hate him, for he never prophesied good unto me."

I read Ahab's answer and I think, "Well, Ahab have you ever thought that maybe your actions are contrary to God?" Why would Ahab hate the prophet of God? It had to be that the king's actions were not in accordance to the law of God and Micaiah would not sway from that law.  Have you ever thought that the preacher was "talking about me"?  In reality, I should be thankful when I feel the message pointed directly at me because that means God still has a personal message for me. It may make me mad at the moment, but if it is the message from the Lord then it is the message I need to hear.

When the Lord's prophet came to Ahab, he had a message to share. "Then he said, I did see all Israel scattered upon the mountains, as sheep that have no shepherd: and the LORD said, These have no master; let them return therefore every man to his house in peace.  (17)  And the king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, Did I not tell thee that he would not prophesy good unto me, but evil?" (2 Chronicles 18:16-17)  

What was Ahab's response?  - See? I told you! He never has anything good to say to me!  He said Israel will be as a flock of sheep without a shepherd. What could that possibly mean? He was telling Ahab, "If you go into battle, you will die."  Ahab did not see it as a warning; rather he saw it as the prophet only wanting to be contrary to him. He was determined to go into that battle. He disguised himself so he would not be seen as the king of Israel. During the battle, a soldier from the other army shot an arrow into the air. It came down and struck Ahab. He died that day as the sun went down.

When we might perceive the message from God to be contrary to us, we should heed the warning. Ahab was told what would happen if he continued. He was determined to have his own way. May we ever be receptive to the Word of God, not only when it encourages us, but also when it warns us.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51