Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philemon 1:1-3 (Part 3)

Philemon 1:1-3    "Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer, (2)  And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in thy house: (3)  Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

Have you ever put a piece of chocolate in your mouth and let it just set there, melting? But while it was melting, you were savoring the flavor? This is the case with these three verses. As I look at them, I can see the various flavors that are coming through the words. We are secured in the Lord by His perfect work of redemption. We are bound to Him and nothing can separate us from His love.  We are blessed to have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us and He presents our imperfect prayers to the Lord. As a result of the Lord's working in us, we have had grace given and peace experienced within.

We've all heard it said that mercy is when we do not receive what we deserve and grace is when we receive the goodness of God which we do not deserve.  Paul is setting the stage concerning what he ultimately wants to talk to Philemon. We have received grace from our Heavenly Father. Though mercy is not mentioned in these verses, we can know that it is written into the word, grace. Paul is reminding Philemon that he, himself, received grace and peace. In those words, Philemon could know that he was also a "runaway" from God, but the Lord received him back into the fold as a direct result of grace. Certainly this is not original with me, but I love the thought of GRACE: "God's Riches At Christ's Expense".  Philemon knew in that word, grace, he did not deserve that which the Lord had accomplished for him in order to experience the peace between himself and the Lord.

That is a thought that carries me each day. For you see, I know I am imperfect. I know I am a sinner. I know that my natural being is completely opposing to that which is God. But I'm so thankful that through the redemptive work of Jesus Christ I am now a "sinner saved by grace."  Peace has been made between God and myself and that peace was solely accomplished by Jesus dying in my place on the cross of Calvary's Hill. I rejoice that God has forgiven me of all my sin. I praise Him that He has brought me into His family. How about you? Is that high on your list for which you are thankful?

If I have understood the forgiveness that has been extended to me through my Lord, then I should be more ready to extend forgiveness to others. God, please help me to do so.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51