Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 1:12-13

Philippians 1:12-13    "But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;  (13)  So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places"

Why do bad things have to happen? Is life ever fair? How can we, by God's grace, turn a bad event into a God-glorifying event? Is it possible for us to be used of God in order for that to happen?

Bad things happen and we perceive life as not being fair because sin entered into the world and death by sin through Adam's transgression. We are imperfect people because of the inherited sin nature. Only one person ever escaped having to deal with the inherent nature of sin and His name is Jesus. Everyone else that has ever been born, or ever will be born, has to deal with the carnal mind. I sure do wish it was different because I know I am a sinner by nature, but thank God I am a saint by grace. I know I don't look like a saint. I don't always act like a saint. But I am a saint through virtue of the shed blood of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. All who are washed in the blood and born of the Spirit are saints. You are too.

Because we are saints, we have the ability through the Holy Spirit to turn bad events into God-glorifying events. We do it by sounding out the praise of our Lord in all situations. We do it by giving thanks unto the Lord for the fact that even in bad times, He is still by our sides. When I do not deserve it, He still walks with me and brings me back into His fold. I have much for which to be thankful and for which to sound the praises of my Lord. How about you?

Paul was wrongfully imprisoned. His only guilt came in that he was bold to preach the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. I have to ask myself the question that has been asked throughout the years: "If Christianity was a crime, would my actions be enough to prove me guilty?"  Paul was guilty of living the Christian life and it intimidated people. He was beaten, stoned, imprisoned, cast out, and many other things happened as a result of His stand for the Lord Jesus.

Even in prison, he was bold to preach the Word. Christ was preached and other prisoners heard and no doubt many were comforted by the preaching of the Gospel. Others were made bold and began to share the good news of Jesus. And there were those who called the name of Jesus, even though it was not in sincerity. What was Paul's response?  "What then? ? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice." (Philippians 1:18)  

My thought for today is that I would be constant in declaring the good news of Jesus Christ no matter what situation or circumstance I find myself. He is worthy of our praise and adoration. He is worthy that we would share that good news of life in Christ Jesus with others. May the Lord help us to do so.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51