Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 2:14-16

Philippians 2:14-16    "Do all things without murmurings and disputings:  (15)  That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;  (16)  Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain."

We live in a time when we hear much murmuring and the whole world seems to be in dispute with one another. Yet in all this, God instructs us to be "blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke." He tells us not to get caught up in all the murmurings of the world. May I say to you that this goes against human nature. I would love to sit here and say I have never been guilty of this, but that would not be the truth. How can we possibly go through life as we see it in our time without beginning to complain about something?  The answer comes in the word, "meekness".  Jesus tells us, "Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth." (Matthew 5:5)

What does it mean to be meek? First let me say that meekness does not mean weakness. In fact, it takes much more energy to be meek in this world that tries to run over you.  Being meek requires the power of the living risen Lord abiding in us. It requires us to be absolutely dependent and trusting in the Lord God Almighty rather than trying to "bull our way" through life. There is a promise to those who are meek: "they shall inherit the earth." How can that possibly be true? It comes as a result of relying upon and following the KING of all kings and LORD of all lords. I assure you there is victory in Christ Jesus. That does not mean that things will always go our way, but there is peace and assurance in Christ Jesus even in the toughest storms.  As the old song speaks, "I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold. I'd rather be His than have riches untold. I'd rather have Jesus than houses or land. I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand."

How can I cope with the things of this world if I am exhibiting meekness? Paul tells us that we can "shine as lights in the world" and it happens as we hold out "the word of life."  We do not have to shout from mountain tops or from house tops (unless the Lord directs us to do that), but we can simply be consistent in our Christian walk. We are assured of God that we can make a difference in the world as we walk with Him. I go back to a previous devotion from this book of Philippians. We can make a difference in the world "one person at a time." And I have to admit the first change is to be made in me.  "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."  Let us walk in the light of Christ Jesus even when the world tries to provoke us to murmurings and complaining.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51