Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 3:10-11

Philippians 3:10-11    "That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;  (11)  If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead."

Listen to Paul's request in these verses. "I want to know Him. I want to know His power. I want to know fellowship of His sufferings unto death that I may also attain (arrive at) the resurrection of the dead."  With only a casual reading, this could seem very strange. This is the Apostle Paul writing and expressing his desires. Yes, it is the absolutely inspired Word of God, but the Holy Spirit has placed within Paul this longing for a closer walk with the Lord Jesus.

In what way is Paul desiring to experience these things? After all, he was met by Jesus in a very personal way. He was allowed to see some portion of the glory of the Lord as he traveled that day. Now, he is saying, "I want to know him."  In what way did Paul desire to know Jesus? He knew the shed blood of Jesus was the only means of redemption and eternal life. He knew Him as Saviour. But now, after all these years of walking with the Lord and preaching the message of grace through Christ Jesus, Paul says, "I want to know Him."

Remember Paul is in prison as he is writing this letter. He is living under the worst of circumstances. There are those in the prison who earnestly receive the message of Christ, but there are those who mock the message as Paul preached it. Paul had received many stripes. He had been shipwrecked, stoned, left for dead. He had been rejected and literally had been ran out of towns because of his stand for the Lord. In order to endure those things, he had to deny himself and in some way identify with the Lord's suffering. I pause here because I have heard people try to compare their sufferings to the sufferings of Christ. I have heard people make remarks such as, "Well, they crucified Jesus also." That remark was to imply their sufferings compared to Jesus' sufferings. Paul was not in any way comparing his experiences of pain and suffering to those of the Lord's.

Paul had been blessed by the Lord to achieve a place in life where he was content with whatever was thrown at him. This will be stated later in this letter. It seems that in these two verses, we can find the key to a statement made to the Church at Corinth. "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (10)  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."  (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)  I have read these verses many times and have made the statement that I have not arrived at that place of taking pleasure in suffering.  Paul was able to do this because he had embraced a great truth that Jesus had made to him: "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."

I stop now to look inside myself and my desires concerning Jesus. Do I want to know Him?  Am I willing to suffer for His name's sake or am I content with just a casual relationship with Jesus? I have never had to suffer for the cause of Christ, not in the sense the saints of old had to suffer.  How deep is my desire to know Christ in a daily relationship? How can I possibly know His power (the power of the resurrection) if I'm not willing to walk with Him in all situations of life? It's something for me to think about.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...