Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 3:12-14

Philippians 3:12-14    "Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.  (13)  Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,  (14)  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

I often ask myself, "Am I satisfied with the place I have reached in life?" And of course the answer must always be, "No." As long as I have breath, there is yet purpose. Throughout my ministry, I have met many saints of God who stated they did not know why God was leaving them on earth.  It is my full belief that as long as we are alive, God has a purpose (a ministry) for each of us.

Paul stated in these verses that he fully believed there was reason for his life and even for his being in prison at that moment. He had seen the Lord at work too many times to think anything different. Even in prison, he was pressing toward the mark of fulfillment in Christ. When I say, "fulfillment in Christ," I am speaking of arriving at the point of having done all that Christ called him to do.  He understood that Christ had "apprehended" him to preach the Gospel. We saw in the first chapter of Philippians that he was still "apprehending that for which (he) also (had been) apprehended."  Paul could say, though not to the same degree, as Christ had said, "I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me." (John 5:30)  In a sense, Christ was apprehended, of the Father, for the purpose of redeeming His people.  Jesus pressed toward the cross. Paul was pressing toward the mark of His high calling which was to declare the glory of Jesus Christ.

You do not have to be a called minister of the Gospel in order to understand that you also are apprehended of Christ. Every child of God has been apprehended for a purpose. I realize I just repeated myself, but it is important for the children of God to understand we are not necessarily placed here for our comfort and our ease of life. It is often in our trials and conflicts that we are best able to shine out the glory of Christ in us. We saw in chapter three that we are to shine as lights in darkness.  We do that as we declare the glory of God's grace to be our sufficiency for every circumstance of life. Can we say as the Apostle Paul that we are pressing toward that mark?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51