Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 1:29

John 1:29    "The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."

Today, we look at John's testimony concerning Jesus.  I saw things just now as I read through the verses 29-34 that I had never stopped to notice. They are things that have been there all the time, but I'm not sure that I ever stopped to take note of them. I say that to encourage each one to continue reading and studying your Bibles. There are beautiful things that we might miss, but then they will be revealed as we need to know them.

In our text verse, John makes the beautiful declaration that I suppose every minister has used as a text at some point in their ministry. As John was baptizing, he looked up to see a man walking toward him. As he observed this man (we know it was Jesus), John boldly spoke, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."  I remind us that Jesus and John were cousins on their mothers' side of the family, but in verse 31 we are told that John did not know Jesus. In our day, we might wonder how that could happen, but in that day I suppose it would be quite common. I could speculate as to whether or not Jesus and John knew each other as children, but we are not told that. Verse 31 plainly states that John did not know Him.

How did John come to the place where he could boldly state that Jesus was indeed the Lamb of God? We are told that in verse 32. The Lord had revealed to him the Messiah would be the one upon whom he would see the Spirit of God light upon in the form of a dove. So I ask the question again, how did John know that Jesus was the "Lamb of God"?  The answer had to be that the Lord revealed it to him. We are told that God does not change; so now I ask, how do you and I know that Jesus is the Son of God?  By the way, in verse 34 of chapter 1, John the Baptist plainly states, "This is the Son of God." So, how do you and I know that we are worshiping the true God when we worship our Lord Jesus?  We know it by the same way John knew: The Holy Spirit reveals to us the things concerning Jesus.

John the Baptist said, "I knew him not." Then he states, "I saw and bare record that this is the Son of God." Is that not our experience also? I did not know Jesus until the Holy Spirit revealed Him to me. Now I can say through our God-given relationship with Him that this Jesus is the One Who took my sin away. Thank you Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51