Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 3:20-21

Philippians 3:20-21    "For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:  (21)  Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself."

Paul concludes the thoughts concerning our pressing toward the mark by reminding us that not everyone has the same approach and outlook toward life. There are those who only mind earthly things and their end is destruction while our conversation is in heaven, or heavenly matters. The word, conversation, in this passage means our citizenship is in heaven. For you see, only those whose citizenship is in heaven can appreciate the conversations concerning heavenly matters. Though Paul has been talking about our striving to be like Jesus as we walk on this earth, the origin for that conversation is in heaven. The Holy Spirit guides us in these things and places the desire within us to know more about Jesus.

Deep within us lies a yearning, a longing, to be like Jesus in all His goodness. Though I fall short of that goodness each day, my desire is to be like Him. Paul realizes all of our shortcomings and is using today's verses to remind us there truly is coming a day when we shall be just like Jesus. We look for that day and await its arrival. At that time, our bodies shall be changed into glorified bodies. As heirs of God, that righteousness which we are trying to "work out" (See Chapter 2:12-13) will be our eternal character.

My thoughts are going all over the place this morning. It seems that Satan has been somewhat successful in changing conversations from heavenly things to earthly.  I am guilty of introducing the pandemic into too many conversations. If it is not the pandemic, then it is politics that takes most of the conversations.  There is no man nor man-made product that shall be our salvation in these rough times. I am reminding to bring myself back to heavenly matters. I want to be more trusting of my Heavenly Father and follow the leadership that He works into me by His Holy Spirit. In other words, it is time for me to "work out my own salvation with fear and trembling" as the Father "works into me both to will and to do of His good pleasure." As I seek to do that, I want to keep my eyes toward heavenly matters.

My thoughts go to the hymn written by Stuart Hamblen....

This weary world with all its toil and struggle
May take its toll of misery and strife;
The soul of man is like a waiting falcon;
When it's released, it's destined for the skies.

Chorus
But until then my heart will go on singing,
Until then with joy I'll carry on,
Until the day my eyes behold the city,
Until the day God calls me home.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51