Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 4:10-11

Philippians 4:10-11    "But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.  (11)  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

The devotional this morning concerns verse 11, but I saw something of interest while looking at verse 10. I saw the word, careful, and wondered about the word, careful, in verse 6.  We are not privy to the minds of the interpreters when they were translating from the Greek to English, so this is not to criticize them at all. Though the English word is the same, they come from different Greek words. I won't attempt to even spell the Greek words but will attempt to show the meanings are quite different. In verse 6, we saw the meaning was "be not careful"  (anxious) about much.  In verse 10, Paul is commending them for being "careful" (full of care) for him. This word, careful, means to have an affection toward another to the degree of taking care of that person. Paul commends them for the manner in which they cared for him while in their presence, and even continuing while in prison through their prayers for him.  He realized they were not always able to do all they wanted to do in taking care of him, but their hearts were always bent toward him. That is a great blessing to minister to people whose hearts are bent toward you in love and care.

Then Paul speaks of his outlook on life. He admits at the very beginning it is something he has had to learn. It did not come naturally; rather, he has arrived at this point through the loss of all things (Chapter 3:8). Before we begin to feel sorry for Paul, let's remember that he counted all those things as less than nothing in comparison to the blessings he has acquired through his love and service unto the Lord Jesus Christ.

In these few thoughts, we can understand how contentment is found in life. Contentment comes as we look at the blessings we have rather than looking for the things we desire to have.  Paul no longer held esteem in the eyes of the Pharisees, but he found love in the eyes of the Saviour. He counted the head knowledge that he used to have as nothing in comparison to the experience of that knowledge coming to life through the love of Christ in everyday living.  Therefore, now he can say, "I have learned to be content."

There is a difference in contentment and complacency. We can become complacent in less than that which the Lord has designed for our lives and in our complacency, we miss blessings. But contentment is the understanding that I am where the Lord has placed me for the moment and I will use the blessings of this place to honor my Saviour.  So I ask myself this morning: Have I learned to be content?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51