Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 4:13

Philippians 4:13    "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

One of the most detrimental statements made by the child of God are the words, "I can't". We restrict ourselves and our accomplishments in God's service by thinking we are unable to do what the Lord places on our hearts and minds. If the Lord directs us to do something, He has already given the ability to do it.

When properly understood, this passage is a great source of strength and encouragement. I say properly understood because some might be tempted to take the first five words and try to make them stand on their own.  I hear people say, "I can do anything I want to."  Well, that may or may not be true, but things that are contrary to the Lord will be met with great opposition. Contrary to popular belief, nothing can be done that is contrary to the Lord's will and purpose.

We have to go no farther than King Nebuchadnezzar. When he tried to exalt himself above the Lord, he was made to graze in the fields like a wild animal for seven years. At the end of that time, he lifted his eyes unto the heaven and his understanding was returned. At that point, he made the declaration that "none can stay his (God's) hand or say unto him, what doest thou?" Nebuchadnezzar, can you do anything you want? No, not without consequences.

Yet Paul made the statement, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." The qualifier for that statement is found in Christ Jesus. Jesus said of Himself that He always does those things which pleases the Father. So, does this help us properly understand this beautiful passage of Scripture?

What things are under consideration? Go back and read verses 8-12 to find the answer.  Those things which strengthen me, I can do through Christ Jesus. Let us always be ready to submit to that which the Lord directs us to do. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51