Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 4:19

Philippians 4:19    "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

The Word of God is full of contrasts. Anyone who has heard me preach a few times will tell you that one of my favorite words in the Bible is "but".  It is a conjunction of contrast and is usually followed with good news.

A few verses prior to this, Paul acknowledged the Philippians had gone through a rough time. There had been a time when their giving had flourished. They went through a period of time when they could not support as they once had been able to do.  Please understand this teaching is not merely about giving of our finances. Paul is speaking to a much greater subject than that.

My God shall supply!  What a wonderful statement to be able to make. There was no doubt in Paul's heart and mind concerning the ability of his God. It wasn't a matter of hoping God would supply, as in maybe He will and maybe He won't. My God SHALL SUPPLY! Even as he sat in prison, Paul had this blessed assurance that God will supply all his needs in all things and whatsoever state he found himself. Through learning this blessed truth, Paul had learned to be content.

What will He supply? My God shall supply ALL my needs!  I admit to you there are wants and there are needs in my repertoire of prayers. How about you? Have you ever prayed for something that you just really wanted? It wasn't a matter of life or death? It wasn't a life changing matter. It was just something that you believed would be nice if you had it.  I don't have any assurances of God meeting my every desire. BUT, my God shall supply all my needs.

What if He runs out of resources? Let's look at the rest of the verse. "But my God shall supply all your (my) needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." His supply is "according to HIS riches in glory."  Does that sound like our God is limited in His ability to meet our needs? I think not. In the book of Malachi, the Lord speaks of opening "the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

The question that I must ask myself now is this: Do I believe God?  Looking back at verse 13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." How can I possibly tell God that I cannot do what He bids me to do when He has promised to supply all my needs?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51