Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 4:4

Philippians 4:4    "Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice."

There is much repetition throughout God's Word. If something is mentioned only once, it still remains to be truth. But when it is repeated, we should stop and take notice. Especially when it is repeated in such a short measure of words in a sentence. "Verily, verily, I say unto you." "Truly, truly I say unto you." Jesus often used this method for us to pay close attention to what is being said.  Paul uses the approach of saying, Rejoice, and again I say, Rejoice. Should we stop and pay attention to these words? I think, yes.

The word rejoice carries the meaning of being full of cheer and gladness. The phrase, "Be of good cheer," is used seven times and each of them are in the New Testament. Jesus made the statement five times and Paul made it twice in the book of Acts. Bear with me as I put these statements together to form a better understanding of "rejoice."

Jesus spoke those words in the following manner: "Be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee. Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." Then when he appeared to Paul while in prison, Jesus said, "Be of good cheer Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome."  The next two times those words come from the mouth of Paul as the ship upon which he is traveling is in the middle of a terrible storm of hurricane force. Listen to Paul's words of assurance to all the other men on that ship: "And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship.  Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me."

What can we gather from these instances of the words being spoken as we think on the words, "Rejoice alway: and again I say, Rejoice"? How is it that you and I can rejoice in all times and situations? Jesus still says to us today, "They sins be forgiven thee. It is I; be not afraid. I have overome the world. You will bear witness." Be of good cheer: for I believe God.

To sum up this verse, let us not take the word "rejoice" by itself and think we have to muster up some kind of fake or false happiness from within ourselves. Paul was not telling the people to rejoice just for happiness' sake. "Rejoice IN the Lord."  By God's grace we are in Christ Jesus. We could not place ourselves there, but God has called us unto Himself and placed us in that place where our sins are forgiven. We can have fellowship with the great I AM. He has overcome the world and IN Him, we are more than conquerors. We can be of good cheer because of God's unconditional amazing love.  If we truly believe that, then we have the ability to "rejoice in the Lord alway."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51