Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 4:4-7

John 4:4-7    "And he must needs go through Samaria.  (5)  Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph.  (6)  Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.  (7)  There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink."

Do you believe in divine appointments? God does not direct every step we make, but there are certain things that God appoints to happen. Be assured if God says something will happen, it's going to happen. I start today's writing in this manner because verse 4 tells us that Jesus needed to go through Samaria. I understand the geographical implications of this verse. I understand the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. I understand to go from Judea to Galilee (as Jesus was traveling), He had to go through Samaria. But I also believe there was another reason why He needed to go through Samaria. I believe there was a divine appointment that day for Jesus to have this encounter with the Samaritan woman.

We find Jesus sitting on Jacob's well in the heat of the day around noon. He is tired. Yes, Jesus, the man, experienced even the tiredness of body as you and I experience. They had been walking quite a way. The disciples had gone into the city to buy some food to eat. The woman approaches the well and Jesus initiates the conversation. Aren't you thankful for the times Jesus initiates conversations with you? He made a simple request of the woman: "Give me to drink." Her response was one of surprise: "How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria?"  This was a simple request; yet, she was caught off guard because of the hatred between Jews and Samaritans.

There was a conversation between Jesus and the woman in which He told her about her life. How could this man, a stranger to her, know all about her life? And beyond that, how could this man know all about her life AND still be willing to have this conversation with her? He knew this woman had had five husbands and was living with another at that time. It was during this conversation that the woman became enlightened. If you read this fourth chapter of John, you will see her understanding begin to unfold. First, she only saw a man sitting on the well. Then she saw He was a Jew. Surely even in all this beginning conversation, she saw the kindness and compassion of this one. We aren't even told that she knew His name is Jesus. As they continued to talk, she perceived He was a prophet. And then she realized Him to be THE MESSIAH.

Jesus began to speak to her about God and true worship. She knew the Messiah had been prophesied and would explain all things to them when He came. It was at that point Jesus told her, "I that speak unto thee am he." "The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,  (29)  Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?" (John 4:28-29)

As I type this writing, my heart is saying I want to hear Jesus speak to me. Everytime I open my Bible, I want Jesus to speak to me. I want constant affirmation that my Lord has come to me with "living water" that satisfies the deepest need within me. I want Him to guide me into true and proper worship. I want to honor Him. Then I want others to know that Jesus has spoken and made such a blessed difference in my life.

I see a theme developing in the early portion of this book of John: "Come and see."  I pray you are making this journey with me in order that we all might see Jesus is the Promised One and worthy of our devotion and commitment.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51