Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 7:7

John 7:7    "The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil."

"The world cannot hate you." These are words spoken by Jesus to "his brethren." This was still early in His ministry and the disciples had taken a quiet approach to their work. This was going to change when the time came for Jesus to be offered up. On the night of His betrayal, these words would change to something of this nature, 'Because the world hates me, they will hate you also."  

There was a popular song of the 70's that asked a question, "Why can't we be friends?"  After all, we all want to get along, right? We want everyone to like us and enjoy our company. The truth of the matter is that as long as we remain neutral in our thinking, the world will love us. Whether we agree with them or not, they will tolerate us as long as we remain silent. They will love us if we agree with them; but otherwise they tolerate the silence. To this point, the disciples have remained somewhat silent. "The world cannot hate you."

"But me it hateth." Yes, the world HATES Jesus. It isn't that they just dislike Him. They hate Him and everyone who is willing to make a stand for the cause of right that is found in Jesus Christ. Jesus said they hate Him because He testifies "of it, that the works thereof are evil."  Yes, the world wants us to say their works are okay. For a time, they were willing for Christians to say, "Do what you want to do, but don't try to force it on me." They were willing to be in agreement with that "for a time." But now, they hate the disciples of Jesus Christ who stand and say, "Sin is sin."

The world hates Jesus because He testifies "that the works thereof are evil." Why are the works of the world evil? It's a simple answer. Their works are choreographed by Satan, himself. The world was wanting to kill Jesus. They found a way, or so they thought. 'We will nail Him to a cross and make a public spectacle of Him.' yeah, do that.. see what happens.  I'm being sarcastic now; for we know that Jesus then turned their efforts to make him a spectacle into the glorious resurrection of the dead!  He laid down His life on the cross. They buried Him. They sealed the tomb. They set a guard. After three days and nights, Jesus WALKED out of that grave.. alive!  YES! HE'S ALIVE!!  

Now, I ask myself as I come to this point of the writing. The world wants to destroy the work of Jesus. They are willing to kill any attempt to exalt Him as Lord. They have already failed and don't even know it. So, who will I follow?  Will I try to please a failed world system? OR, will I seek to please the KING of all kings and LORD of all lords?  The world cannot hate you if you are walking with them; but, they will hate and persecute you if you follow the Victorious Lord. Which side will I be on? Losers or Winners?   I've read the back of the book. I already know who wins.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...