Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 8:7-9 and 11

John 8:7-9    "So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.  (8)  And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.  (9)  And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst."

John 8:11    "She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

Scribes and Pharisees had brought this woman to Jesus. She had been caught in the act of adultery. These men really had only one reason for this public display and that was a constant attempt to try to find fault in Jesus. They apparently forgot to bring the man also. As Jesus listened to these accusers, he bent down and began writing something in the dirt. I have often wondered what He was writing. Whatever it may have been, He got these men's attention quickly.

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." I wonder if He was writing the ten commandments, or if He was listing specific sins that each of these men had committed. Whatever it was, they became convicted in their own hearts and began to walk away. I notice something very interesting in the manner of order that they walked away: "beginning at the eldest, even unto the last." It seems, for me at least, that I get a little wiser as I age. That isn't always the case, but I try.  When I was young in the ministry, I felt I had all the answers and was so much brighter than those who had been softened by age. I had life all figured out and would slip my thoughts into any conversation that I could manage.  As I have "seasoned", I understand the older men "got the message" much quicker than the eager young Pharisees and scribes.  They all turned and walked away.

Now, Jesus will address the woman. He hasn't forgotten her. He is not condoning what she did; but, it is apparent that she is standing before Him with a repentant heart. "Where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?" She answered, "No man, Lord."  Remember the past accounts of Jesus' speaking: "Whether is easier to speak: Thy sins be forgiven thee? or Rise up and walk?"  When the officers came back without Jesus, their response was, "Never has man spake as this man."  There is power in the voice of the Lord Jesus Christ. I say this because the next words spoken to this woman were absolutely life changing: "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

Again, Jesus does not condone sin, but aren't you thankful that He forgives sin?  The Apostle Paul understood this great truth and wrote about forgiveness on many occasions. "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.  (2)  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 8:1-2)   Jesus has freed us from the bondage of sin and has given us the power through His Holy Spirit to walk in liberty through His life.  May God bless that we seek that walk of blessed peace and joy in Christ Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51