Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 7:40-43

John 7:40-43    "Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet.  (41)  Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee?  (42)  Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?  (43)  So there was a division among the people because of him."

"So there was a division among the people because of him." I read that verse and my heart breaks. I remember a question asked of the Corinthians by the Apostle Paul, "Is Christ divided?" Of course the answer to that is, "No, Christ is not divided." So what brings about division? We have to answer that man is the cause of division, not the Lord. In fact, we are told specifically that God is not the author of confusion.

When you read these verses, we see that each side of the controversy had the facts. Jesus indeed spoke great words of truth which would make Him, not only a prophet, but as the people said "Of a truth this is THE PROPHET."  Others said, "This is the Christ." Still others questioned the validity of that because they could not see that Jesus fulfilled everything that they were expecting to happen. He is indeed of the seed of David. He was born in Bethlehem, the city of David. Did you notice? All three sides had the truth, but their perspective was different.

I have been guilty of disagreeing with someone simply because they said the same thing I said, but in a different way. Was this not happening? They each had the truth, but came to a different conclusion. He's the Prophet. He's the Christ. We don't know where this man was born, so He cannot be either of those.

I understand there are differences of opinions, but I can find some common ground with all who profess Jesus to be the Christ, the Son of God. I can find common ground with all who declare the blood of Jesus Christ to be the means of righteousness and forgiveness of sins. If God's people would focus on that with which we agree, there would not be so many disagreements.

Why do I go into such length concerning this matter?  I know there are those who disagree with the things I just said above, but Satan has done a pretty remarkable job of causing separation among God's people. He has done a pretty good job of sowing pride, strife, and discord over matters of belief. He has caused many to forget who is the true enemy. There is a world of those who hate the Lord and hate us as His people. Let us not give them "fodder" to feed their hatred and accusations.

Let us turn our focus back to Jesus, the Christ. Let us come to the conclusion that is found in the Song of Solomon 5:16,  "His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem."  Tell me about your vision of Jesus and His grace upon you.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...